Duet on Wifi

mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Duet on Wifi

Post by mhackney »

The folks at Think3DPrint3D published a blog post last year on connecting the Duet ethernet port to a Wifi. I went that route - the device cost $17.90 at Amazon. I also got a 5V Micro USB power supply to power it conveniently from 24V (my Rostock is set up with 12V and 24V). This combo makes for a completely hands/cable free printer.

Once I get some time I'll detail how to configure the device in client mode. I ended up assigning my Duet a static IP address so I didn't have to go looking for it after a reset. If you have multiple Duet based systems on your network you also have to assign each a unique MAC address in the config.g file. Here's the relevant config.g - it appears at the top of the file:

Code: Select all

; 
Communication and general
M111 S0                                                 ; Debug off
M550 PKossel250  		                      ; Machine name and Netbios name (can be anything you like)
M551 Pxxxxxxx                                       ; Machine password (used for FTP)
M540 P0xBE:0xEF:0xDE:0xAD:0xFE:0xED ; MAC Address
;*** Adjust the IP address and gateway in the following 2 lines to suit your network
M552 P192.168.1.201			      ; IP address (0 = use DHCP)
M554 P192.168.1.200	                      ; Gateway
M553 P255.255.255.0            	              ; Netmask
A couple of things to note:

the "P" is important and designates a parameter to the M code. So to name your machine with M550 you put a P in front of the name you want like I did.

If you want to ftp into the Duet, set up a password too. You'll also be asked for it when you log in via the web interface.

The MAC address is set with M540. Note the starting "P". If you have multiple Duets just change the last part of the address. I used 0xED, 0xEE and 0xEF for my 3 Duet systems.

The M552 sets the IP address of the Duet. I chose to use a static IP as shown here. Set it to P0 if you want to use DHCP.

The M554 sets the IP address to the TP-Link wireless router (you'll have to configure it to match. The instructions that come with it are easy or read the T3P3 blog).

The M553 tells Duet what net mask to use and needs to correspond to the mask set in the TP-Link.

It took all of 5 minutes to get the Duet on my wifi network and it has been rock solid.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Duet on Wifi

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Thanks, as usual a great write-up.
Earthbound
Printmaster!

Post by Earthbound »

If anyone else wants to follow what Michael has done, you might be interested in picking up the nano router device from newegg via newegg.com or their presence on ebay. Refurbished units are selling for $12.99 shipped. Also a selection of 12v/24v to USB power converters offered at N/E under $10.

I look forward to seeing Michael's write up.
"Trust no quote from the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Just a heads up for others looking to do this. The HooToo TripMate Nano will not work as it does not support Ethernet to Wireless bridging.

I missed the the FAQ on the manufactures website. Still a nifty little device, maybe I'll set it up as an open network and spoof facebook... :evil:

Code: Select all

Can I convert the wireless network to an Ethernet connection via TripMate? (WAN / LAN port)

No, the Ethernet port on TripMate is a WAN port, which can only receive hard wired network signal and convert it into wireless network signal, then rebroadcast it out. You cannot use the TripMate to receive a wireless network then output it via this WAN port.

Return to “Duet”