Duet setup - instructions in progress

dmo
Printmaster!

Re: Duet setup - instructions in progress

Post by dmo »

dc42 wrote:I am out of ideas. I think it's time for you to request a replacement board from your supplier.
Thank you for all of your help on this. I'll send another message to Filistruder. I think he copied you on the last one. The Wfi board sounds pretty exciting.
CRPerryJr
Printmaster!

Post by CRPerryJr »

noishi wrote:I'm getting ready to convert my machine to a duet, and am wondering if somebody can help explain what I am seeing.

I flashed both my duet board and Paneldue to v1.14 successfully, but when I connect my PanelDue to my Duet and power both boards via USB connected to the Duet, The PanelDue screen blinks around 1/sec. Everything appears to work fine in terms of the touch screen and navigating the menus, but it just blinks on/off.

If I plug in USB to just the PanelDue, I get no blinking and everything else is fine. I have nothing else connected, just the paneldue to the Duet board via the supplied 4 pin dupont connector (havent converted it to a kk connector yet). I wanted to know if this is normal before I start taking my machine apart. I also tried 1.12a-dc42 firmware and paneldue 1.12 but saw the same results.

Thank you!
Hi Noishi,

You need more power than what the USB can supply. Mine does that blinky thing too if I leave it connected to my computer via USB after cutting main power (printer power) to the boards. Once you have it wired to your printer's power supply, it'll be fine.
SeeMeCNC Rostock Max V2
Makerbot Replicator Gen 5
noishi
Prints-a-lot

Post by noishi »

CRPerryJr wrote:
noishi wrote:I'm getting ready to convert my machine to a duet, and am wondering if somebody can help explain what I am seeing.

I flashed both my duet board and Paneldue to v1.14 successfully, but when I connect my PanelDue to my Duet and power both boards via USB connected to the Duet, The PanelDue screen blinks around 1/sec. Everything appears to work fine in terms of the touch screen and navigating the menus, but it just blinks on/off.

If I plug in USB to just the PanelDue, I get no blinking and everything else is fine. I have nothing else connected, just the paneldue to the Duet board via the supplied 4 pin dupont connector (havent converted it to a kk connector yet). I wanted to know if this is normal before I start taking my machine apart. I also tried 1.12a-dc42 firmware and paneldue 1.12 but saw the same results.

Thank you!
Hi Noishi,

You need more power than what the USB can supply. Mine does that blinky thing too if I leave it connected to my computer via USB after cutting main power (printer power) to the boards. Once you have it wired to your printer's power supply, it'll be fine.
Perfect, thank you for the explanation! :D
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

noishi wrote:
CRPerryJr wrote:

Thank you!
Hi Noishi,

Perfect, thank you for the explanation! :D
It depends on your computer and the size of the display you are using. A typical desktop computer with 500mA capacity on the USB ports can power a Duet + PanelDue + 4.3" screen without any problem, and can just about (or if you are unlucky, not quite) power them if the screen is 5". However, the 7" screen needs 680mA by itself, which is too much for a USB port.
dmo
Printmaster!

Post by dmo »

dc42 wrote:I am out of ideas. I think it's time for you to request a replacement board from your supplier.
Just want to follow up. Everyone was great at getting me a new board. Everything works perfect with the new one. Had it hooked up and running in 30 minutes. The IR probe also works great.
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

Thanks for letting us know!
MrJoe
Printmaster!

Post by MrJoe »

I'd like to thank dc42, mhackney, geneb and other forum users for all of the great information they posted on the Duet controller.
It was technically challenging and rewarding to make this upgrade and I couldn't have done it without your help.

I installed the Duet 0.8.5 and the DC42 IR sensor board and I'm very pleased with the results.
The Duet Web Control is very easy to use and presents a lot of information very clearly. And being able to edit config.g from the DWC is a great feature.
The printer sounds quieter and makes different sounds than the RAMBO controlled version did.
And the IR sensor and bed leveling are a thrill every time I use it.

Best Regards to All
Joe
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

That's great Joe. Once you've experienced Duet and David's delta auto calibration, delta kinematics, and Christian's Duet Web Server (and optionally, David's touch screen PanelDue) along with a probe like the IR probe or FSRs you can't go back! And being able to do firmware updates from the web interface without compiling is a fantastic feature. Use a DuetWifi and you have a completely wireless solution (or add a simple inexpensive wifi bridge to your 0.8.5.)

I assert that simply swapping a RAMBo for a Duet is fairly straightforward. It basically involves replacing most of the connectors since the two boards use different connectors. (NOTE: the ONE thing I would change on Duet would be the connectors to the same ones RAMBo uses, they are positively latching and polarized). But, to get the most out of it, a probing system is required and that does take a bit of work. Now that the V3 has an integrated accelerometer probe and the HE280 system is available as an upgrade, support for it dc42 firmware would make a Duet update super easy. I acknowledge there are concerns about the long run (potentially) of the SPI and possible interference from the heater and other wiring. In practice, I have not had a single hiccup on my V3 and I've done a lot of probing in 5 days. I've started investigating porting the accelerometer code and interface over and perhaps David will investigate the option.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
adarcher
Printmaster!

Post by adarcher »

mhackney wrote:That's great Joe. Once you've experienced Duet and David's delta auto calibration, delta kinematics, and Christian's Duet Web Server (and optionally, David's touch screen PanelDue) along with a probe like the IR probe or FSRs you can't go back! And being able to do firmware updates from the web interface without compiling is a fantastic feature. Use a DuetWifi and you have a completely wireless solution (or add a simple inexpensive wifi bridge to your 0.8.5.)

I assert that simply swapping a RAMBo for a Duet is fairly straightforward. It basically involves replacing most of the connectors since the two boards use different connectors. (NOTE: the ONE thing I would change on Duet would be the connectors to the same ones RAMBo uses, they are positively latching and polarized). But, to get the most out of it, a probing system is required and that does take a bit of work. Now that the V3 has an integrated accelerometer probe and the HE280 system is available as an upgrade, support for it dc42 firmware would make a Duet update super easy. I acknowledge there are concerns about the long run (potentially) of the SPI and possible interference from the heater and other wiring. In practice, I have not had a single hiccup on my V3 and I've done a lot of probing in 5 days. I've started investigating porting the accelerometer code and interface over and perhaps David will investigate the option.
Wait, does the duet have i2c support? Are you documenting your progress somewhere? I'd love to follow along.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Search my thread here I am documenting it.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
adarcher
Printmaster!

Post by adarcher »

mhackney wrote:Search my thread here I am documenting it.
Oof, I'll crawl through these 12 pages in this thread later tonight. Be nice if it was in it's own thread and labeled. All I've found otherwise here is that it's not possible.

*now I'm seeing there are only a few posts since the accelerometer board has be released. Also, I realized I hastily commented and quoted a large block without highlighting what I was talking about. I'm interested in your comment on porting over the accelerometer stuff to duet. Are you documenting that somewhere?
aerouta
Printmaster!

Post by aerouta »

"Send M562 H# where # is the heater number."

This is at the bottom of the Duet wiki page "https://duet3d.com/wiki/Spurious_heater ... g_the_Duet"

This did not clear the faults for me, has anyone successfully used this command?
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

Yes. The RepRap g-code reference says it should use a P parameter, not an H parameter. Also, are you using the right number? The bed should be P0. The first extruder should be P1.
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

IMBoring25 wrote:Yes. The RepRap g-code reference says it should use a P parameter, not an H parameter. Also, are you using the right number? The bed should be P0. The first extruder should be P1.
Thanks for pointing that out. I have corrected the wiki page.
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

I received a duet 0.6 board last week through T3dP3d. Now it has those green screw terminals for the stepper and thermister cabling. What is the smartest way to connect everything, without just cutting off the connectors of the existing cabling? I like to keep the possibility to connect the rambo again. Not because of distrust in the duet ;-) but because of when I decide to by or make a metal frame, I can keep the old one going with the rambo...

I could make some adapter cables, but would it be smarter to use a IDE cable and go with that?
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

DeltaCon wrote:I received a duet 0.6 board last week through T3dP3d. Now it has those green screw terminals for the stepper and thermister cabling. What is the smartest way to connect everything, without just cutting off the connectors of the existing cabling? I like to keep the possibility to connect the rambo again. Not because of distrust in the duet ;-) but because of when I decide to by or make a metal frame, I can keep the old one going with the rambo...

I could make some adapter cables, but would it be smarter to use a IDE cable and go with that?
I would just make little pigtails. The only way I can think of to use an IDE cable would be on the expansion header, and you'd need stepper drivers and other hardware for that to work properly.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

It seems to me that all the screwterminal positions also have a position on the IDE style pins. They are labelled identically. But I think I read a warning somewhere to not do this, because of possible problems delivering enough power for the motors. I think "pigtails" is the way to go indeed.

mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I make little piglets myself - that way I can swap out controllers to test new ones very easily. I use the locking molex connectors like the RAMBo uses for these since they lock.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Can you please make a suggestion to the used connectors? I am having difficulty finding the right type of molex, that I can solder or crimp to a cable instead of mounting on a pcb... Thanks!

mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Make sure to get the correct pins - the female side has a different pin than the male side. I assert these should be used on all controller boards - positive lock. I took my Kossel250 to a presentation I gave last night and the 4 pin PanelDue connector came loose. I forgot which of the pins it attached too so I had to look it up minutes before my presentation started.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

mhackney wrote:Make sure to get the correct pins - the female side has a different pin than the male side. I assert these should be used on all controller boards - positive lock. I took my Kossel250 to a presentation I gave last night and the 4 pin PanelDue connector came loose. I forgot which of the pins it attached too so I had to look it up minutes before my presentation started.
I guess you were using a Duet 0.6 then? The 0.8.5 and the WiFi have locking connectors.
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Yes, we were talking about a Duet 0.6 which I got for a nice price. Of course I never considered the connectors beforehand, and I read in your blog about desoldering the screwterminals, but I am most likely not a solderguru like you ;-) so I wil have to think up some adaptercabling.

Wouldn't these fit instantly?
img1_med.jpg
img1_med.jpg (27.6 KiB) Viewed 26054 times
But they will probably block the neighboring endstop connections...

mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Hmm, David yes, I think that printer must be a .6 Duet as I think about it now. I have to many printers with Duets to keep track of! (that's a good thing)

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler

Return to “Duet”