I'm Jumping Into The 3D Printing World! Need Advice!

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
Faytoe
Plasticator

I'm Jumping Into The 3D Printing World! Need Advice!

Post by Faytoe »

Well, I'm making the jump into the world of 3D printing, I have chosen to buy the Rostock 3D MAX V3. Please tell me what other stuff I need to buy with it, ie filament roll what diameter 1.75mm?, MATTERCONTROL? yes, no?, ANY other stuff to get with the purchase. I'm not getting the RTP version. I will have to do the assembly myself. I am very technically minded to with that and your help, I'm sure I can do that.

Just some good advise and info as I commit myself to many a days and night trying to get it right! :shock:

Thanks for your help!

Sean
Does a funeral Hearst qualify to drive the HOV lane?
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: I'm Jumping Into The 3D Printing World! Need Advice!

Post by Xenocrates »

The diameter is indeed 1.75 mm.
Mattercontrol sometimes, but it's not a great slicer (slic3r prusa edition or kiss are much better, but may be harder to start with). Some other things to buy: tinfoil for a heatspreader, a roll of both pla and abs, and in my opinion, an auber DC-dc solid state relay (if you use it to drive the bed, and have the Rambo only generate signals for it, the board stays cooler, and you don't risk power connectors melting, plus you can tweak the voltage up somewhat more if you want to.). For 20$, I think it's a good investment. I also suggest a non-conductive thermal paste or grease, for thermistor installation. Don't use the epoxy versions (if it's in two tubes, or mixes, stop there), as thermistors can fail. Label, and cable tie all your wiring. Color code steppers, endstops, and towers together for easier troubleshooting. And don't forget to take pictures for us as you build it!
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Faytoe
Plasticator

Post by Faytoe »

Thanks Zeno!

Hey which auber DC-dc solid state relay should I get? I did a search and they have various Amp ratings. Also, you recommend some tinfoil for a heatspeader. Where do you buy stuff like this? is there a all in one 3D printer accessory store online? heh I have thermal paste, and I'll get the PLA and ABS rolls 1.75mm.

Thanks you the great help! I'm excited!

Sean a.k.a Faytoe
Faytoe
Plasticator

Post by Faytoe »

Maybe I'm stupid... yes I might be. Tin Foil= Aluminum Foil? Am I right? :lol:
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Tin foil is indeed aluminum foil. If it were actual tin, it would not be as useful since it would have lower thermal conductivity. The suitable DC SSR is the 100A one (Yes, it is very oversized, but the others are undersized). With the low on resistance it exhibits, there's minimal power loss to it, and it should stay cool.

As for all in one stores, I'm sorry to say that I don't think so. My biggest bit of advice as far as stores. If the quality matters, buy from either the mfg. directly, or an industrial supplier. Don't trust Ali, ebay, or amazon, unless someone else has used that exact part and it worked.

And a last point. Filament matters. Some applications need higher quality filaments even if they are in theory the same plastic. Don't try using 15$ Amazon filament for high detail work. And colorants can matter. As an example, I often use Designshop or Hatchbox ABS filament with a .4 nozzle. It's kinda stringy, and the diameter isn't always great, but it works and is cheap. But I'm getting ready to work up some high detail prints. For those, I'll be using MG94 ABS and PMMA (Acrylic filament). Now, most high detail stuff doesn't need that, but I'll be seeing if I can get a .15mm nozzle working on a V2, and it very much does. I also find that avoiding colorants usually produces a better filament, so if you use bargain basement stuff, go for the natural colors. It lets you see fillers and other issues more easily. Red and black are usually the colors with the most filament issues, as well.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001

Return to “RostockMAX v3”