Extra wiring?

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
jlvter
Prints-a-lot

Extra wiring?

Post by jlvter »

Can someone tell me what this is for? Seems to be an extra included with my V3 kit.
Attachments
20161016_200904.jpg
pswindler
Printmaster!

Re: Extra wiring?

Post by pswindler »

that is so you can power your raspberry pie from the rambo board. if you dont have a pi, then you dont need it
jlvter
Prints-a-lot

Post by jlvter »

Great, I was hoping it was for the pi. In step #12 in the guide an arrow points to a Micro USB for power. Where does it connect to Rambo?
pswindler
Printmaster!

Post by pswindler »

nope! they dont include that with the v3 kit, you connect the printer using the usb cable and the power using that cable and your good to go, i can take a picture when i get home if you want to see the connection points i have been using, but i am not sure if they are the best, but they work great for me.
jlvter
Prints-a-lot

Post by jlvter »

That would be great, thanks.
pswindler
Printmaster!

Post by pswindler »

the three terminal end goes here on the pie.
Attachments
IMG_0206.JPG
pswindler
Printmaster!

Post by pswindler »

the two terminal end goes here on the rambo, if there is a better place to connect i would like to know it, i found this just measuring for a 5v output with my voltmeter. you see there is a - and + marked below the connect, make sure those are mached to the pi!!!
pswindler
Printmaster!

Post by pswindler »

pick did not post
Attachments
IMG_0207.JPG
pswindler
Printmaster!

Post by pswindler »

closer look
Attachments
IMG_0208.JPG
jlvter
Prints-a-lot

Post by jlvter »

Beautiful! Thanks.
jlvter
Prints-a-lot

Post by jlvter »

@pswindler: Worked great. Got Octopi working tonight and am printing a test with the PLA profile that was in a thread posted by mhackney.
Thanks again.
crocky
Printmaster!

Post by crocky »

Still going alright?

I think I am going to power it from the Rambo too...

jjjohnson may have better pins to use if he is watching :)
Bob
Rostock Max V2, Ball Cup Arms, New Carriages, HE280, Dampers, PSU Breathing, Simplify 3D, GeckoTek3D, Raspberry Pi3. Duet soon... Kossel Mini still under construction.
Delta's are the way!
ido3dprintz
Prints-a-lot

Post by ido3dprintz »

Fantastic! Thanks for this info
8-) n00b in training, willing to learn and absorb all that I can for this hobby 8-)
joemod
Plasticator

Post by joemod »

FYI... not counting out that I misinterpreted something in the images...

Effectively I'm 100% positive I fried my Rambo. I know something went wrong when I saw a puff of smoke. Homing my printer now results is terrible step skipping on the belts.

I'm chalking this up to a learning experience. Just throwing this out there for others. If you see smoke, you wired it wrong and just stop there :shock: Order a new rambo and move on with life... :o
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

joemod wrote:FYI... not counting out that I misinterpreted something in the images...

Effectively I'm 100% positive I fried my Rambo. I know something went wrong when I saw a puff of smoke. Homing my printer now results is terrible step skipping on the belts.

I'm chalking this up to a learning experience. Just throwing this out there for others. If you see smoke, you wired it wrong and just stop there :shock: Order a new rambo and move on with life... :o
It's impressive that it's still trying to home after something like that, even if it's doing badly. Have you found where the smoke came out of yet?
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
joemod
Plasticator

Post by joemod »

I've gotten wrapped up in other projects. Once I get my printer operating again, I'll do a post mortem on the board and post what I find.
joemod
Plasticator

Post by joemod »

I did a quick comparison of the old vs new Rambo boards. Nothing is visually different, as in char marks. Considering everything else works, LCD, controls, steppers; must just be the pins wired up to the limit switches.

New board is installed, and all is well again. Decided to power the RaspberryPI from the 5v aux pins next to the power connector on the Rambo. Working well so far.

I'm hanging onto the old one in hopes that I'll get inspired to debug it further.
crocky
Printmaster!

Post by crocky »

Just got mine finished and fired up on octoprint tonight and doing a test print remotely... All powered from the Rambo must remember to close octoprint before turning off the printer :)
Bob
Rostock Max V2, Ball Cup Arms, New Carriages, HE280, Dampers, PSU Breathing, Simplify 3D, GeckoTek3D, Raspberry Pi3. Duet soon... Kossel Mini still under construction.
Delta's are the way!

Return to “RostockMAX v3”