Enclosure for the V3

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
morgandc
Printmaster!

Enclosure for the V3

Post by morgandc »

Xenocrates - do you have a STL of enclosure brackets for the v3 available that allows for full movement using the additional plexiglass? In another thread it sounded like you might have them available. Recommended hinge STL?

I need an enclosure and would like to remove the risk of using stock calibration/firmware gcode files and bumping into the enclosure.

Thanks!
-Dwight
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Enclosure for the V3

Post by Xenocrates »

I don't yet. I can whip some up quickly if I got a measurement of the distance it needs to extend from the towers sideways (to measure this, place a straight edge or piece of lumber along the outside of the towers, then measure the distance to the furthest extension of the fan shroud, ensuring to include the thickness of whatever you used to create the reference line.)

I have a decent chunk of time in the morning before I end up working on another enclosure design for class (Taz 6, and it's effectively a final, so practice doesn't hurt). If I get those measurements, I should be able to give you something printable quickly, probably including hinges. To be honest though, I used clear acrylic hinges and solvent welded them (yes, it works on polycarbonate), rather than printing any. If you have a preferred size of bolt, cotter pin, or clevis pin, I can work with that too.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Noircogi
Printmaster!

Post by Noircogi »

My slim enclosure is here if you don't want one which sticks out on the sides:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1796438

You'll also need the linked fan shrouds which move the fans up out of the way.
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

Thanks!

It looks like 3.75" from the side of the tower out to the inside of the next panel/inside of the turn. This places the clearance 1.125" beyond the side of the v3 panel/plate holding surface edge. Note this is contact clearance, so a smidge more would likely be good.

The skates at the top come within .3 inches of the top. Again, contact clearance.

Noircogi: Nice design, but I would rather stick with the stock head right now and a little more elbow room may allow more flexibility in the future.

-Dwight
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I haven't printed these (And likely won't, since I don't plan on getting a V3 any time soon), but I've gone ahead and done a quick experimental enclosure design for it. If after you've given it a shot (Especially the top bracket, that is the one I'm most worried about) it's working, I'll do some mouse ears, chamfers, and fillets to make it easier to print and nicer looking.

Please do let me know if any problems arise (And yes, the key may be a little small. I prescaled it to .98 to prevent it from binding ETC). It's derived roughly from the old Raymond style enclosure, although in this case it's designed for the blind nuts to be feed through from the other side to make it more solid. I gave you ~.25 inches of clearance for the head as well. But be aware that this thing is BIG.
Attachments
upper bracket.stl
(38.75 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
Lower Bracket.stl
(36.21 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
Key.stl
(1.06 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

The corners lifted on the print, but I got a solid base printed for some testing. It appears there is not enough clearance yet, but I guess I am thinking about something that is a cross between your design and Noircogi's. I may have to dig out the cad software :)

Return to “RostockMAX v3”