Quite disappointed

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
ivanhandler
Printmaster!

Quite disappointed

Post by ivanhandler »

I'm talking with MatterHackers but it looks like I am going to return my pre-assembled Max v3. I have had a variety of problems with it including a timing belt breaking after the first week. After examining the belt, it is clear it was defective when it was installed, the other two were fine. It stopped after a 24 hour print (2 hours to go) and became completely unresponsive (though it did connect to MC and Simplify3D, that was it, it wouldn't do anything). While everyone is pretty sure it is the rambo board, SeeMeCNC would not send out a new one until the old one was sent through some diagnostics. So I live in Chicago and MatterHackers back in CA and I was not pleased. So MatterHackers sent me out a replacement board on their dime and I was to send the other one back for diagnostics. Unfortunately SeeMeCNC modifies the basic rambo board so that the one MatterHackers sent me isn't compatible.

I have a call with MatterHackers tomorrow where we will probably work out the return. I am so disappointed for because: I spent $1900 on the device, SeeMeCNC won't stand behind their work and I really like this machine and don't look forward to finding a replacement

I have worked in the automation industry for over 30 years and I am really astounded to see a reputable manufacturer survive with such poor customer service and relations.
WZ9V
Printmaster!

Re: Quite disappointed

Post by WZ9V »

SeeMeCNC modifys the Repetier firmware to accept the accelerometer probe. The board is physically the same, your replacement will work just fine as long as you put all the cables back in the same places and then install the firmware from SeeMeCNC which is not hard at all as long as you follow that firmware instructions for the DIY version of the Rostock.
TwoTone
Printmaster!

Post by TwoTone »

ivanhandler wrote:I'm talking with MatterHackers but it looks like I am going to return my pre-assembled Max v3. I have had a variety of problems with it including a timing belt breaking after the first week. After examining the belt, it is clear it was defective when it was installed, the other two were fine. It stopped after a 24 hour print (2 hours to go) and became completely unresponsive (though it did connect to MC and Simplify3D, that was it, it wouldn't do anything). While everyone is pretty sure it is the rambo board, SeeMeCNC would not send out a new one until the old one was sent through some diagnostics. So I live in Chicago and MatterHackers back in CA and I was not pleased. So MatterHackers sent me out a replacement board on their dime and I was to send the other one back for diagnostics. Unfortunately SeeMeCNC modifies the basic rambo board so that the one MatterHackers sent me isn't compatible.

I have a call with MatterHackers tomorrow where we will probably work out the return. I am so disappointed for because: I spent $1900 on the device, SeeMeCNC won't stand behind their work and I really like this machine and don't look forward to finding a replacement

I have worked in the automation industry for over 30 years and I am really astounded to see a reputable manufacturer survive with such poor customer service and relations.

Seriously? I mountain bike and I had to send my 3k carbon frame back before they shipped out a replacement.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

Hi,

You went on this forum in the wrong order. If you came sooner we could of helped. The timing belt is a minor issue that is easily fixed, and would not have caused the rambo to go bad... But, like wz said, the replacement rambo will work fine. you just need to reflash seemecnc's software.
DerStig
Printmaster!

Post by DerStig »

sounds more like buyers remorse and trying to get your money back. None of your issues are deal breakers and they are very easy to fix

SeemeCNC's customer service is top notch. They routinely go to of their way to help people
mandalarose
Plasticator

Post by mandalarose »

I had similar problems and seemecnc worked with me till it was resolved. The Rambo board will work fine. Just get the right firmware from the master branch of their repo. It took me a while the first time I did it but it's really easy.
djarmag
Printmaster!

Post by djarmag »

Sorry for your loss. I understand spending a lot of money for a product that you have to troubleshoot can be very frustrating, as I have spent over a month learning and researching various issues I been having, especially being a newbie of 3d printing hardware and software. I eventually figured out how to solve my issues with the help of this forum and willing to share my knowledge with this wonderful community. Now here I am making the harness adapters for my Duet controller board, .9 stepper motors, FSR probes and very eager to experience the upgrade outcomes. Good luck in your endeavors.
ivanhandler
Printmaster!

Post by ivanhandler »

I don't think it's the board. I received a new one (it is lacking a connector for a fan, that can be dealt with). I flashed the new board and I am back where I was with the old board. It must be something else. What galls me is that I bought this assembled for a reason. I am hoping I can send this back to MatterHackers for repair, they have been great. I need to know not only what went wrong but why. I have been extremely careful, have the unit on a filtered UPS. I assume this must be some kind of power issue and I am not capable of troubleshooting this alone. I'm glad that others feel SeeMeCNC has given good support, I don't feel that way. Maybe they will help MatterHackers fix this since they are the reseller.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

ivanhandler wrote:Unfortunately SeeMeCNC modifies the basic rambo board so that the one MatterHackers sent me isn't compatible.
As the others have said, the Rambo board isn't modified. There were different generations of the board, but there aren't parallel models or anything like that. https://www.seemecnc.com/pages/downloads Has the link to the firmware and instructions for loading it. This is quite standard in 3D printing, the boards come vanilla, and you load the proper firmware for the kind of machine that you're building. I'm pretty positive that MatterHackers' Rambos come from SeeMeCNC, anyway.

I would actually suggest looking into the drivers on your computer. Unless you changed the baud rate or something like that, maybe the driver for another device is stepping on the Rambo's toes. How does it appear in device manager?

Can you print from SD and avoid USB for the time being?
Does anything come up on the screen when you turn on the printer?
TwoTone
Printmaster!

Post by TwoTone »

ivanhandler wrote:I don't think it's the board. I received a new one (it is lacking a connector for a fan, that can be dealt with). I flashed the new board and I am back where I was with the old board. It must be something else. What galls me is that I bought this assembled for a reason. I am hoping I can send this back to MatterHackers for repair, they have been great. I need to know not only what went wrong but why. I have been extremely careful, have the unit on a filtered UPS. I assume this must be some kind of power issue and I am not capable of troubleshooting this alone. I'm glad that others feel SeeMeCNC has given good support, I don't feel that way. Maybe they will help MatterHackers fix this since they are the reseller.
These are DIY kits- just because you purchased one assembled by a 3rd party doesn't change that.

MatterHackers or you could have easily done something to damage the board and Seeme has no way to know that without looking at it. It's not unreasonable for them to want you to send in the board first. If you think it is, then frankly you're the one that is unreasonable.
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

TwoTone wrote:These are DIY kits- just because you purchased one assembled by a 3rd party doesn't change that.

MatterHackers or you could have easily done something to damage the board and Seeme has no way to know that without looking at it. It's not unreasonable for them to want you to send in the board first. If you think it is, then frankly you're the one that is unreasonable.
Actually, SeeMeCNC is offering assembled v3s now. The full implications of buying from a reseller on what happens when things go wrong would be wildly different depending on whether MH is buying and reselling assembled machines or building up kits and also depend greatly on the terms of SeeMeCNC's agreement with MH.
ivanhandler
Printmaster!

Post by ivanhandler »

Wow, it was actually quite simple. I submitted a trouble ticket after my MH support person asked me to. So I continued to fish around the forum and saw a posting about the HE280 that indicated the connector could become unseated. So I reseated that (I reseated everything else several times so why not?). Now the printer works! I am printing a clip to hold the connector in place which I hope fixes everything. This has been quite a ride is all I can say.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

ivanhandler wrote:Wow, it was actually quite simple. I submitted a trouble ticket after my MH support person asked me to. So I continued to fish around the forum and saw a posting about the HE280 that indicated the connector could become unseated. So I reseated that (I reseated everything else several times so why not?). Now the printer works! I am printing a clip to hold the connector in place which I hope fixes everything. This has been quite a ride is all I can say.

D'oh!

I'm glad it was simple. Sometimes those sting worse, but it's better than being out of commission.

Happy printing!
ivanhandler
Printmaster!

Post by ivanhandler »

Thanks! I guess my problem is that I am an old computerphreak (I started to program Fortran II in 1963) and have been assuming that 3d printing is similar because of all of the computer technology it uses. Unfortunately (for me), the computerphreak skills don't cover a lot of the other more mechanical, thermal or material issues. I'm learning, just wish it wasn't so painful...
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

ivanhandler, think of 3D printers like this - when you're comparing technology curves, we're right about at 1976-78. Yes, you can buy a pre-built Altair 8800, but most of them are sold as kits. :) If you want a printer that any idiot can use if they can stop licking the floor long enough (a Macintosh), then you're going to spend upwards of a quarter million dollars. :D

Absurd jokes aside, once you get a handle on how it all works, you're going to love it. The folks on this forum are the best in the industry and you'll be hip-deep in help when you get stuck.

On a completely unrelated note, if you know the difference between a crossbar and a step-by-step switch and ESS pissed you off as much as the rest of us, go here: http://www.projectmf.org/ :D

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
ivanhandler
Printmaster!

Post by ivanhandler »

Takes me back. I actually worked on designing a system to support building GTE's first #5 switch. What a catastrophe. No time for phone phreaking though, too much else on my plate.

Return to “RostockMAX v3”