2 INTO 1 DUAL FILAMENT FEED ADAPTER COMPLETE KIT

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
miaviator
Printmaster!

2 INTO 1 DUAL FILAMENT FEED ADAPTER COMPLETE KIT

Post by miaviator »

Is there any way to disable the filament changing in the firmware? Simplify3D has tool change scripts and custom retraction on toolchange which will work fine to customize this for each brand and type of filament. The firmware method leaves blobs everywhere.
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Re: 2 INTO 1 DUAL FILAMENT FEED ADAPTER COMPLETE KIT

Post by AlanZ »

I am not getting 'blobs everywhere' in my prints with S3D.
I made a short video of my current setup... are your results substantially different than mine?
https://youtu.be/A_a9GofByKY
miaviator
Printmaster!

Post by miaviator »

Just wondering where in the firmware there is a way to disable the automated filament change in order to use S3D's build in change.
Glacian22
Printmaster!

Post by Glacian22 »

AlanZ wrote:I am not getting 'blobs everywhere' in my prints with S3D.
I made a short video of my current setup... are your results substantially different than mine?
Care to share your toolchange Gcode for S3D? ^_^
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

Glacian,

There is no code entered for Tool Change in my S3D profiles.

There is only the typical simple start and end commands for the print.

It must be relying on the firmware to do the filament swap when switching extruders.
miaviator
Printmaster!

Post by miaviator »

AlanZ wrote:Glacian,

It must be relying on the firmware to do the filament swap when switching extruders.

What I am looking for is not a youtube video of what is already working. I'm just wondering if anyone knows where in the firmware the toolchange retraction can be disabled so we can handle all of this ourselves and get better results. One size fits all doesn't fit.
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

I am guessing that what you are looking for is in Configuration.h of the firmware

for example a snippet of the Extruder 0 section (from line 162 and 163)

#define EXT0_SELECT_COMMANDS "M117 Extruder 0\nT0\nM84 P4\nG91\nG1E172F6000\nG1E5F500\nG90"
#define EXT0_DESELECT_COMMANDS "G91\nG1E-180F6000\nG90"
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

AlanZ wrote:Glacian,

Hey AlanZ, already watched your youtube video, your printer is, simple put, AWESOME!!.

See, I'm trying to convert my Artemis to Y-Adapter dual extrussion.

So far, I have the Y-Adapter and second extruder installed and activated. Also, I can print either extruder 0 or extuder 1 - No problem!

But, I just cannot figure out how to properly switch the filaments. Here is my approach, I hope you could help me by pointing me out the right direction:

I'm using Simplify3D, so, I created a FFF profile to support dual extrussion witht the "Configuration Assitant"-> "Other" and entering all setups.

Using this profile, I can make use the "Dual Extrussion Wizard" in Simplify3D.

Then in order to have enough filament retraction to switch the filaments, I changed the "Tool change retraction distance" from 12mm to 120mm.

However, while the tool retracts without problem, then the "Pilar" push the filament only 12 mm.

I cannot figure it out how to make the filament to go down without touching the Scripts ... would you mind to share the fff and process? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

Some of us one the Facebook SeeMeCNC owners group have been sharing our setups with Simplify3D profiles.
Send me a private message Alan Zenreich and we can help get you started. Then we can post the results here.
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

AlanZ wrote:Some of us one the Facebook SeeMeCNC owners group have been sharing our setups with Simplify3D profiles.
Send me a private message Alan Zenreich and we can help get you started. Then we can post the results here.
Thanks Alan ... I have no more facebook (yes, I know). PMing you right away!
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

Glacian22 wrote:
AlanZ wrote:I am not getting 'blobs everywhere' in my prints with S3D.
Care to share your toolchange Gcode for S3D? ^_^
Hey, not sure if this still helps, but i ran into the same problem with S3D. Still improving to get the best way to do it, but so far the following script for tool changing is working.

You need to set the STARTING SCRIPT and TOOL CHANGE SCRIPT as shown below. ALSO, go to the tab "OTHER" and change the "Tool change retraction distance" and "Tool change extra restart distance" to 0. This is important as the retraction is managed entirely by the scripts. Also, if you want the fff profile, I posted it here: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=12639

===========STARTING SCRIPT=========================
G28 ; home all axes

G1 X0 Y130 Z0.3 F8000 ;Move the platform down 15mm
G92 E0
G1 E160 F5000
G92 E0
G1 Z5
G1 F200 E3
G92 E0
G92 E0
G1 F4800 E-5

============TOOL CHANGE SCRIPT =====================

; TOOL CHANGE - AMG
G92 E0
G1 E-5
G1 X0 Y130 F20000
G92 E0
G1 E-155 F5000
G92 E0

T[new_tool]

G92 E0
;G1 X0 Y130 Z0.3 F20000 NO Z distance!
G1 X0 Y130 F20000

G92 E0
G1 E160 F5000
G92 E0

;G1 [current_position_z] ;Set Z back to current height!

M18 E0
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

miaviator wrote:Just wondering where in the firmware there is a way to disable the automated filament change in order to use S3D's build in change.
Most probably you already resolved this issue, but for the sake of having it documented, I will write down what I found.
For DuetWifi, as far as I know, the behavior of the Tool change is divided into three steps and correponding macros:

1) tfree.g
2) tpost.g
3) tpre.g

These three macros can be edited through the "Settings" section on the Web Control page. You can make these empty, so all control is given by S3D.

In my "Old" Artemis, one of them (I think tpre.g) came with a M116 command, which happens to make the tool to block the new commands until the temperature is stable, so my nozzle was static in a point over my print every time I did a tool change, melting the plastic at that point. Annoying! :-)

Cheers!
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

artexmg wrote:
AlanZ wrote:Some of us one the Facebook SeeMeCNC owners group have been sharing our setups with Simplify3D profiles.
Well, betraying my beliefs I reactivated my FB account (haha). Anyways, Andy (from Seeme CNC) pointed me to Jim Carter's profile so I downloaded it compared vs the one I created.

It works, but I don't like the beginning, as it extrudes around a centimeter with the nozzle in the top, "floating". You need to remove the initial stream of plastic or have it spread in your plate :-)

Also, as it is relying on the retraction given by S3D in "Tool change Retraction Distance" and the restriction of only being able to retract 99mm, the distance is rather short.

I like better the way CURA is addressing the tool change, so this is how I replicated the setup for S3D in my version.

Anyway, I guess this is a matter of preferences.

Cheers!
Horvaticus
Plasticator

Post by Horvaticus »

artexmg wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:51 pm
artexmg wrote:
Well, betraying my beliefs I reactivated my FB account (haha). Anyways, Andy (from Seeme CNC) pointed me to Jim Carter's profile so I downloaded it compared vs the one I created.

It works, but I don't like the beginning, as it extrudes around a centimeter with the nozzle in the top, "floating". You need to remove the initial stream of plastic or have it spread in your plate :-)

Also, as it is relying on the retraction given by S3D in "Tool change Retraction Distance" and the restriction of only being able to retract 99mm, the distance is rather short.

I like better the way CURA is addressing the tool change, so this is how I replicated the setup for S3D in my version.

Anyway, I guess this is a matter of preferences.

Cheers!
Howdy! I'm currently having some issues as well with the dual feed adapter in a Max 3.2 and S3D. Are you still using your script above? I had a similar script that operated like:

{IF OLDTOOL=1}{IF NEWTOOL=0}G1 E-110 F3600 ; retract old tool
{IF OLDTOOL=0}{IF NEWTOOL=1}G1 E-110 F3600 ; retract old tool
T[new_tool]
{IF OLDTOOL=1}{IF NEWTOOL=0}G1 X[next_position_x] Y[next_position_y] Z[next_position_z] F[travel_speed]
{IF OLDTOOL=0}{IF NEWTOOL=1}G1 X[next_position_x] Y[next_position_y] Z[next_position_z] F[travel_speed]
{IF OLDTOOL=1}{IF NEWTOOL=0}G1 E100 F3600 ; un-retract new tool
{IF OLDTOOL=0}{IF NEWTOOL=1}G1 E100 F3600 ; un-retract new tool

But kept running into weird issues with the hotend stopping over the print (like you were describing) or with the secondary filament not extruding the full 100 mm on the first tool change. It sounds like if I'm going the script route I should completely disable the tool change macro in the firmware.

Return to “RostockMAX v3”