V3 conversion to WASP LDM Clay extruder process

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
nurbie
Printmaster!

V3 conversion to WASP LDM Clay extruder process

Post by nurbie »

Hey gang, need some help here!
Anyone converted a V3/similar delta to clay/liquid media printing?

I'm in process of converting my V3 plastic printer into a clay machine using this kit:
https://www.personalfab.it/en/shop/clay ... r-kit-2-0/
Using acronym LDM(liquid deposition modeling) to describe the extruder and save keystrokes!
Here are some pics of where I'm at, I have the metal SEEMECNC ball ends coming as well:
WASP_LDM_effectorShape.png
WASP_LDM_design.png
WASP_LDM_wiring.png
A hefty 527g for the head setup; problems for steppers?
LDM runs SLOWLY and in spiral vase mode for most, so there isn't the requirement for a lot of rapids.

I know I can turn off the bed heater/hotend via MatterControl(MatterHackers) software but I'd like to use the IC2(?) accelerometer/auto-calibration feedback feature from the SE280/rev_5c PCB.
Can I do this?
If so, the only mounting spot I can put the thing is on top of the extruder-stepper, workie/no workie?
I can easily connect the fan wiring that way, but not sure if the board is usable if there is no hotend forming a feedback loop.
I know when I had a popped thermistor it shut the whole thing down.
Need to bypass all the 'smart' features like that, and just print a model without heat concerns.
Ic2 on stepper.jpg
Planning on wiring the LDM stepper to the same wiring/RAMBo port that the OEM extruder stepper uses.
My understanding is that this stepper can be controlled via MatterControl , yes/no?

Other than that, what could possibly go wrong??

ANY feedback on this process would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

SEEMECNC guys - I'm in WI and willing to drive out to you guys with the rig if we can make things happen!!
I can also bring beer?
nurbie
Printmaster!

Re: V3 conversion to WASP LDM Clay extruder process

Post by nurbie »

skip
Last edited by nurbie on Sun May 12, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nurbie
Printmaster!

Post by nurbie »

OR,,,
I AM williing to upgrade the controller board to a Duet, if that will make things optimal.
Any feedback on that option?
:idea:
I have a month or two before the LDM printer needs to be online.
Without me being labeled a fool, that is!
:oops:
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

If you go with the Duet, you'll end up with a much better printer. That being said, I have no idea how you'd integrate a BL Touch with a Duet controller.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
nurbie
Printmaster!

Post by nurbie »

Not looking forward to the mess with RAMBo and potential Repetier versioning shenanigans

Upgrading board to DUET + FSR (Ultibot/JohnSL/mhackney device setup)
I am assuming that the install process for the board, and connections will all be the same as driving an OEM MAXV4, except that I will need to leave heater/hotend connections unused and get the FSR wired up.
Am I missing something?

DUET WiFi option:
I use my cell phone to hotspot for WiFi; that's how I'm typing now, and I'll be on our closed WiFi-LAN in our shop where I get full (cell)bars through concrete.
Somewhere in the gazillion forum posts on the DUET WiFi board I recall reading that the WiFi was unstable?
Is this true, or just someone's bad router-hub location/setup?
Last edited by nurbie on Thu May 09, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

The Duet uses the SE300 PCB to detect nozzle touches. It's similar in design to the Duet Smart Effector.

Like I mentioned before, you can use the SE300 effector/hot end to do your calibration and then swap out to your clay extruder, then tweak the Z height.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

geneb wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:07 am If you go with the Duet, you'll end up with a much better printer. That being said, I have no idea how you'd integrate a BL Touch with a Duet controller.
Using BLTouch with Duet is covered in the wiki at https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Connecti ... on_BLTouch. However, on a delta I advise against using any sort of Z probe that is offset from the nozzle, because it is difficult to build deltas so precisely that the effector doesn't tilt at all as it moves in the XY plane; and any varying tilt will change the effective trigger height of an offset Z probe.
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

nurbie wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:59 pm DUET WiFi option:
I use my cell phone to hotspot for WiFi; that's how I'm typing now, and I'll be on our closed WiFi-LAN in our shop where I get full (cell)bars through concrete.
Somewhere in the gazillion forum posts on the DUET WiFi board I recall reading that the WiFi was unstable?
Is this true, or just someone's bad router-hub location/setup?
The Duet WiFi has a small antenna, so it is less tolerant of poor WiFi signal strength and congested WiFi spectrum than typical cell phones and some other WiFi devices, especially when the Duet is mounted in a metal enclosure. We're making another batch of Duets with external WiFi antenna, and it's likely that this will become a standard offering in future.

There are several other Duet users extruding clay, and at least one commercial clay printer powered by Duet WiFi.
nurbie
Printmaster!

Post by nurbie »

Just to nip a few things in he bud, I'll be building(ordered):
Duet3D WiFi boards + Ultibot FSR kits

Found a lot of support between here and DUET site, so I'll add more next week when the parts come in.
That is,
if any of y'all want to follow the build process?

I guess we should move this discussion to the custom Rostock builds/experiments section of the forum?
nurbie
Printmaster!

Post by nurbie »

Thanks dc42,
Of course, by the time I saw your posts I had already placed the order for the DUET WiFi boards; should have probably gone with my gut/life experience of using the CAT5 lines for all 'talk'...
WE SHALL SEE!

Building up the frame now.
nurbie
Printmaster!

Post by nurbie »

Everything is working except for the FSR to Duet recognition.
No matter what I try the Duet just doesn't recognize signals from the JohnSL.
Sensitivity for the FSRs is awesome, triggers with a light finger touch on the deck, but Duet is just dumb to it.

I'll post again once we get this figured out, as it should allow all the calibration script to run and then I'll run the test prints.
Super close!
nurbie
Printmaster!

Post by nurbie »

JohnSL board wasn't talking to Duet because of 3.3v and +/- (two outer wires on 3pos trinket connector from kit) going to the wrong pins on the Duet.
Once this was corrected the FSRs talked to the Duet perfectly. The old SE280 accelerometer calibration, which was a huge leap a couple years ago, is TOTALLY outshined by the FSRs + Duet calibration schemes.
Everytime calibration runs I say 'wow!'
:geek:
and,
you get a bed height map to analyze from the Duet!
:geek: :D

For any future FSR installers:
FSR2DUET_wiring.jpg

Now the build is going somewhere!

Return to “RostockMAX v3”