Once more with the Duet Wifi - totally stuck on the no networks/wifi idle msg

The one, the only, the Atremis. Forum for the monster metal machine from SeeMeCNC
DDXdesign
Printmaster!

Once more with the Duet Wifi - totally stuck on the no networks/wifi idle msg

Post by DDXdesign »

Went to print this morning after some 3 days of downtime in which my artemis was turned off, but today it's just constantly repeating that there are no networks and wifi is idle.

M552 S-1 stops the module OK, M552 S0 starts it ok. M587 alone yields no known networks even though it's been running fine on my network for months and I just turned it off a few days ago to save power.

The factory reset command M588 yields a failure, and I can't remember which command but might be the M587, sometimes says 'bad reply format version'.

Needless to say, the normal M552/M587 combo with ssid and password doesn't do anything but toss it back into the wifi error wifi idle message, which repeats every second endlessly unless I stop the module.

Emergency reset and even off/on doesn't change the situation either.

I have a customer order to print but am hamstrung unless I can fix this. This machine has given me really, really strange issues =0( Hope you guys can help. Thanks.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Once more with the Duet Wifi - totally stuck on the no networks/wifi idle msg

Post by geneb »

I would contact the Duet3D folks directly. They're best equipped to help you with this one.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
DDXdesign
Printmaster!

Re: Once more with the Duet Wifi - totally stuck on the no networks/wifi idle msg

Post by DDXdesign »

OK, thanks Gene!
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

You're welcome!

g.
Delta Power!
DDXdesign
Printmaster!

Post by DDXdesign »

Well Gene - sadly, their recommendation of reloading the firmware (M997) did not solve the issue, even though the command itself worked.

I'm really baffled at how many issues I've had with my Artemis that I didn't have with the Rmax - not that the max was perfect, but its one big issue was simply resolved by a replacement board from seeme. This machine seems to give me more extruder issues and more hotend jams, which I can deal with on my own, and now this where if I can't send new files to the machine, the machine becomes an expensive modern-art paperweight. =0(

I assume I'm still under warranty but I don't even know what to ask the company in terms of help.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Are you sending commands to the board via the screen, or via the usb cable? If you're using the screen, try using the USB cable. You'll need a serial terminal (YAT works) to talk to the board. I *think* the baud rate is 115200, but I'm not sure. That should be easy to look up though.

I flinched at the "factory reset" comment - in looking further, that's just "Forget WiFi Host Network", which makes me feel better. :)

What version of the firmware are you currently running?

One thing you could do in order to just be able to print is to copy your STL file directly to the "gcodes" directory on the SD card. You should be able to then print from it using the screen (if you have one).

If you don't have a screen, I would name your gcode file something short, then you can try this:
M20 P"/gcodes" - lists the files in the gcodes directory.
Your file should appear in that list.

Then "select" the file using this:
M23 /gcodes/<your gcode filename>

You can then print the file using:
M24

The thread below has some info on getting WiFi working, including instructions for reflashing the WiFi module if needed - the firmware for that module should be on your SD card from the last time it was flashed. That's kind of a "last resort" thing though.
https://forum.duet3d.com/topic/23546/du ... 87-command

g.
Delta Power!
DDXdesign
Printmaster!

Post by DDXdesign »

geneb wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:33 am Are you sending commands to the board via the screen, or via the usb cable? If you're using the screen, try using the USB cable. You'll need a serial terminal (YAT works) to talk to the board. I *think* the baud rate is 115200, but I'm not sure. That should be easy to look up though.

I flinched at the "factory reset" comment - in looking further, that's just "Forget WiFi Host Network", which makes me feel better. :)

What version of the firmware are you currently running?
Yeah, I got more details out of it connecting with YAT instead of using the panel due.

The M588 thing has messaging about factory-resetting the wifi module, hence why I said it that way.

I can still print files that are on the card, but can't add new files because of the network issue - and my computer doesn't have a card slot at all (more on that in a sec).

I did find recent instructions from SeeMe about upgrading from 2.02FW (which is what I'm on) to 3.2.2 - but it requires an SD card dance, so I'm going to do that; I've ordered a USB SD reader and will do those steps once it arrives.

I did also get a rec from the Duet guys to upgrade the WiFi FW itself too, to 1.25, for compatibility with RRFW3.2.2

Fingers crossed!
DDXdesign
Printmaster!

Post by DDXdesign »

Well, I just spent an hour sweating in my printer room going through EVERYTHING - it's all up at 3.2.2 now, wifi is up at 1.25....

And no dice. Exact same thing again. It just fails to get on the network: every M552 S1 yields an endless stream of "no known networks found, wifi module is idle." I even tried the thing I had to do once where I had to escape all the lowercase letters in the password with a single ' before each.

EDIT I GOT IT. I saw something in the docs about the Duet only working on 2.4ghz. Now, it's been working for 5 months since I moved here on my router where both bands were on the same SSID. I forcibly split the bands to have their own names, logged specifically into the 2.4ghz one, et voila.

And at least I got a fully-updated machine out of the deal.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

:shock:
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I'm really glad you got it working! Great catch on the 2.4Ghz restriction - I wasn't aware of that myself! (All of my WiFi access points use different names for the two different radios, so I NEVER would have caught this myself.)

g.
Delta Power!
DDXdesign
Printmaster!

Post by DDXdesign »

geneb wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:17 am I'm really glad you got it working! Great catch on the 2.4Ghz restriction - I wasn't aware of that myself! (All of my WiFi access points use different names for the two different radios, so I NEVER would have caught this myself.)

g.
I didn't even know my wifi had both bands on the same ssid until I dug into it with fingers crossed. All I knew is that it had worked fine for months and then suddenly it didn't. Speculation is that the frequency auto-steering thought the printer should be on 5ghz all of a sudden. I turned that off and made it show separate names so I could be sure which was which.

On another note: the new firmware and delta calibration instead of probe autolevel also appear to have really improved the printing as well. 100% speed no clicking, on a PLA print I previously had to slow down to like 40 mm/s at 220.
Mac The Knife wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:11 am :shock:
Yeah, it was a dramatic few days.
I have a weird relationship with technology - specifically hardware - wherein if something is going wrong, it seems to be defiant of all logic and commonality - the sort of thing where if the solution is "do XYZ and press button 1," my results would be "XYZ didn't work and I don't even HAVE a button 1!" thus causing an endless round of "it shouldn't do that"/"I'm aware it shouldn't, but it did."
After years of this, I get frustrated faster than usual because I know what I'm in for when this kind of thing happens. Finding all these firmware instructions and the duet forum saved my Artemis from being yeeted into the desert. LOL
PartDaddy
Printmaster!

Post by PartDaddy »

Hi guys, thank you for posting your solution of naming the SSID's individually for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz at the router. Sometimes there's no explanation why it happens, perhaps it is something within the DHCP router itself.. certain models.. ? If I come across this with another customer, we'll certainly try changing names on the router.
~PartDaddy
SeeMeCNC Owner & Founder
Blackpoint Engineering is SeeMeCNC
Since 1996
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

(psst! DHCP is *after* the connection is made. :D )

I suspect the root cause is related to both radios having the same SSID. It may also be specific to his particular make/model/firmware of wifi access point.

It's certainly worth digging a bit more to see if the problem can be properly characterized.

g.
Delta Power!

Return to “Artemis”