X Axis stuttering and doing weird things

The one, the only, the Atremis. Forum for the monster metal machine from SeeMeCNC
jevs
Prints-a-lot

X Axis stuttering and doing weird things

Post by jevs »

I finally got the Artemis put together, but the first probe was a mess. It was making weird noises and moving in wrong directions etc.
After some troubleshooting I discover it is the X axis having the problem. The Y and Z move smooth when issuing a command to move them independently. The X axis however just shudders. I moved one of the other motors to the X connector and it moves smooth. I move the X motor to the Y and issue a Y move and the X motor stutters the same.

So, it does not seem to be the board, it is the motor, motor wiring, or mechanical.

The carriage slides up and down the same as the other axis. It feels free and the motor shaft is spinning with my movement of the carriage. It does not seem to be any issue with the pulleys or belt.

I pulled the connectors pins out of the housing and the wires appeared crimped fine.
I am not sure if the motor is wired incorrectly internally or has some other issue.

When i was trying to home the printer, it gets out of whack and sometimes homing will cause the X to go down instead of up. It will not home or do a first probe properly.
jevs
Prints-a-lot

Re: X Axis stuttering and doing weird things

Post by jevs »

Okay, so it appears there is an open between the green and black wires on the X motor. This should be one of the windings. Continuity between the blue and red is fine.
jevs
Prints-a-lot

Post by jevs »

Okay, so I punctured the wire insulation further down with my probes and got continuity.
I ended up finding the wire was broken and open inside of the insulation of the black wire right behind the crimp on connector.
Going to see if there is a new end in the box and crimp it back on.
Last edited by jevs on Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jevs
Prints-a-lot

Post by jevs »

Okay that fixed it.
It is now homing correctly and went through the first probe sequence.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Excellent debugging jevs.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects

Return to “Artemis”