Large objects.

The one, the only, the Atremis. Forum for the monster metal machine from SeeMeCNC
RegB
Printmaster!

Large objects.

Post by RegB »

Right now I am trying to print a thin object that is too big in two dimensions to lay flat, in fact it is too big to lay on any of its surfaces, so the only way I can get it within the build envelope is to tip it up onto a very short edge.
As currently arranged in Cura it is 10 mm x 241.9 mm x 306.8 mm (1532 layers) and it is "balancing" on that 10 mm edge.

My problem seems to be to get all the needed support material to stick - support material seems to be deliberately "fragile" so that it will breakaway, I can understand that, but I would like to get it to adhere WELL to the glass.

Any hints, tips for settings to get this to happen would be appreciated.
RegB
Printmaster!

Re: Large objects.

Post by RegB »

The description for "Enable support floor" suggests that this would put down a more solid foundation on the glass, however looking at the first few layers doesn't show any difference - also the print time and amount of filament used don't change, so I doubt that this actually does anything.
DDXdesign
Printmaster!

Post by DDXdesign »

I have not tried this myself, but, what about combining supports (I think the experimental Tree Support type in Cura has been received fairly well) with a *raft*? the raft would basically give your tiny edge a bigger footprint. But, I think you'd have to go zero gap between the raft and supports to the model, if it's as precarious as you make it sound, which means more post processing to clean it up.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

You might try printing on a raft. That would give the support a good surface to adhere to on the bottom.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects

Return to “Artemis”