Dual Extrusion PLA-PVA with S3D?

The one, the only, the Atremis. Forum for the monster metal machine from SeeMeCNC
BigDaddyEureka
Plasticator

Dual Extrusion PLA-PVA with S3D?

Post by BigDaddyEureka »

Hi all! New to the forum but not to the 3D printing world...our small company does 3D printing for short run parts, custom jobs, etc. For our other printers we use Simplify3D to generate our gcode from STL files. Several jobs need a combination of PLA materials with PVA supports, and S3D does a great job of letting us control exactly where those supports go and how they are oriented.

I saw http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=12639 on dual extrusion with the Artemis, and was wondering if anyone had a a *.factory or *.fff file for S3D that they would be willing to share? I'm used to the workflow in S3D where you have two processes: one for the supports and one for the main material. In that case, Process 1 uses Tool zero (left extruder) and Process 2 uses Tool one (right extruder). We then load the left extruder with PLA and the right extruder with PVA. Most of the time we add a priming pillar or an ooze shield (if the part is not too big).

Here on the Artemis, there's only one nozzle but two extruder drives. How does that workflow go in S3D for this machine? Thanks for nay help you can provide!
BigDaddyEureka
Plasticator

Re: Dual Extrusion PLA-PVA with S3D?

Post by BigDaddyEureka »

Well, after nearly a month and no replies I thought I'd post a solution in case anyone comes to the zombie thread here and needs the info in the future.

YES it's possible to print PLA with PVA supports but there are some challenges. The biggest challenge is that you usually want to print your PLA at a lower temperature than the PVA. However, this is impractical with the Artemis as there's only one nozzle and you need two temperatures. The best I could do is print both materials at the higher temperature (210 C in this case) and live with the stringing that will happen to the PLA. This doesn't make for the highest quality print, but it works as sort of a crutch if you don't mind the resulting post processing.

When using the attached FFF file for dual extrusion, you'll want your filaments 40 mm BEFORE the Y adapter that merges the two materials into the single nozzle. This is similar to http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... 60#p110160, from which I got the initial dual material printing FFF file.

I've attached an FFF file that works for me for both single extrusion and dual PLA-PVA extrusion, so that you can get up and running with S3D quickly with an Artemis. GOOD LUCK and I hope you make some awesome things!
Artemis Testing.zip
Single and Dual Extrusion S3D Files for v4.1.2
(6.64 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

Ha! I found your answer! :-D

Thanks
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

Hey, but your file is not there anymore?
alexzogh
Plasticator

Post by alexzogh »

This isn't the original file, but it's one I've been using, and it's working well.

Got it from this guy on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SeeMeCN ... 7592469546
Attachments
Carter Dual Artemis.zip
(3.19 KiB) Downloaded 246 times

Return to “Artemis”