State of the Printer

kraegar
Printmaster!

State of the Printer

Post by kraegar »

Current status of the RailCore II project:

The RailCore II "core" model is complete and buildable. The BOM, Assembly Guide, and Thingiverse links should contain all the info you need to build your own RailCore II with a 250mm printable volume or 300mm. The ZL option for both, with a BOM & Build instructions are out as well.

In progress projects:

The ability to add optional front doors has been added to the Fusion360 Model, and just needs to be documented.

Enclosing the top is being worked on. This will involve modification to the static idler mounts, so a top can be fitted, fully enclosing the build volume.

A 300x300x600 version is planned.
RanchRifle
Plasticator

Re: State of the Printer

Post by RanchRifle »

I saw that Tony Akens got in on the E3D Tool Changer Q&A live stream. Looks like the RailCore III may be ready by the time I have scraped together the funds to start my build!
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

The toolchanger will be an "add on" to the RC II, no worries there!
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

You folks seem to have a fascinating project here.
I may have to reconsider my thoughts on rebuilding my V2 into a V3.2 and just rebuilding it into a functional V2 from its current knocked down and stored condition....
I don’t think I have ever even seen a core X-Y printer in operation... but then when I embarked on my V2 here in the fall of 2015 I hand never witnessed a delta in operation....

I think I may just embark on making the printed parts for your printer on my V2 and then acquire the rest of the bits over the next few months (or seasons depending on how well recommissioning the V2 goes...

I have quite a lot of relearning to do I fear. :lol:
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Windshadow, the 3.2 upgrade will blow your mind. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

Well Gene, I have several weeks of building my shop space and then moving and setting up all of my machine tools even before I have to make final decision of which way to go on this

This RailCore2 project seems to be very well thought out with good basic support structure and documentation but of course it is not a commercial product like the V3.2 and that is a factor to be considered as well.
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

We just announced kits for a RailCore II will be available soon, so it's not quite so DIY. :)
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

Congratulations and best of luck on the Whole enterprise....

Right now (it changes from day to day depending on how I am feeling, Gene knows why) the plan is
1 finish the workshop
1 a and move and set up all the machine tools (note to self hire a rigging firm to move the Bridgeport and large lathe!) to have a working machine shop again
2. get the V2 out of its storage condition and upgrade part way to the v3.2 (duet and new defector system with bed leveling... perhaps the new steppers as well)
3. print off the parts needed for a mostly printed CNC Router project and get that set up and working (not sure what board to use for that might reuse the V2 Rambo board as it will be a low use tool)

that should cover the next 6 months

If all goes well, I will be ready for another project and your RailCore looks to be in first place if I decide not to take the improved V2 all the way to V3.2... it is a late 2015 V2 so it already has some goodies from http://www.themakerhive.com/shop and stuff bought from other folks that were active here 2 1/2 years ago so how far I go with it before haring off on yet another build project or not... it seems to keep my brain form ossification (i hope)

Return to “RailCore”