New printer owner here. Ask me questions!

This forum is for discussions specific to the Duet-equipped RostockMAX v3.2 3D printer.
EmileM
Plasticator

New printer owner here. Ask me questions!

Post by EmileM »

I have both the V2.0 and the V3.2.
To be honest, the V3.2 feels more of a complete experience with the DUETWIFI board than it ever felt with the V2.0
The movements are much more fluid and quieter.
The ES300 probing feature is also a great feature that was not present with the previous version.
I have yet to install and try the dual extrusion kit that was ordered with the kit.
I am currently still in tweaking mod so a full review is yet to come.
However, in the mean time, if any has questions about this new printer please go ahead since I might have an answer to your question.
emile1138
Printmaster!

Re: New printer owner here. Ask me questions!

Post by emile1138 »

No questions from me, just wanted to say hello to a fellow Emile...
----------
Caleb Fairres
Media Manager / Assembly Technician

601 Sroufe Street
Suite 200 / Dock 2
Ligonier, IN 46767
(765) 884-4100
[email protected]
EmileM
Plasticator

Post by EmileM »

Hello back...
Iamarobot
Plasticator

Post by Iamarobot »

I just finished my upgrade to V3.2, and there are a lot of things to like so far. Get your dual extrusion set up working pronto and let me know what you think! I would love to be able to print soluble supports and not have to get another printer to do so. I'm counting on you! ;)
EmileM
Plasticator

Post by EmileM »

Iamarobot wrote:I just finished my upgrade to V3.2, and there are a lot of things to like so far. Get your dual extrusion set up working pronto and let me know what you think! I would love to be able to print soluble supports and not have to get another printer to do so. I'm counting on you! ;)
The dual filament setup is now installed. However, the control does not seem to be as straightforward as it was for a single filament. I am having difficulties keeping the hot end temperature active when the filament switches. I did not have a lot of time to toy with it lately, but the first print showed me that the g code and control for dual filament is still in its infancy and not as robust as the single extrusion. I will have to inspect the G-code to see why the hot end temperature was being overridden to 0 degrees C whenever the second filament was engaged. The hardware installation was a piece of cake. And the LCD screen is merely a gimmick and not that useful. This is partially due to the fact that the web interface is simply A1 making the LCD useless for me anyways. From my initial impression, the dual filament setup seems solid and I recommend buying it for the long run.
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

Multiple extrusion has been working robustly on Duets since 2014. What I think is going wrong is that you are not setting the tool standby temperatures (so the standby temperature is 0C), and perhaps you have not set up the tool change macros. Tool standby temperatures are set using the G10 R parameter. You would normally set the standby temperature to somewhat lower than the extrusion temperature, to control oozing from the inactive nozzle. For example, when using PLA I use 150c standby temperature.

Here are some references to tool change files and multiple extrusion using the Duet that you may find useful:

https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Configur ... ange_files
https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Multiple ... nge_macros
https://miscsolutions.wordpress.com/201 ... al-colour/ (see section "Setting up the tool change files").
Iamarobot
Plasticator

Post by Iamarobot »

Thanks for both the replies - I'm looking forward to trying dual extrusion in the next couple months after I'm sure I have the machine dialed in for single. And after I have Nylons and/or other higher temp materials printing.

The Duet web interface is quite nice - at first I was annoyed at not being able to run off usb, and now I'm a convert (though I did have to buy a dedicated router just for the machine). Keep us posted on the dual!
EmileM
Plasticator

Post by EmileM »

Thank you DC42 for your links. I believe my issue is coming from CURA setup. And as the guides from SEEMECNC clearly seas that: dual extrusion is for advanced users. I am starting to agree. It is not a plugin play idiot proof setup such how single extrusion has become. The pause print button also seems not to respond during a print after the dual extrusion setup which not an issue before.

The main feature I miss the most from the DUETWIFI is the ability monitor the completion of the layer during a print via a slicer program. I did not dig deep into the features yet to see if truly the DUET board has this not, but even if it doesnt, I will forgive it because it is simply an amazing board with amazing features. I believe the board is the main reason why I am liking the V3.2 more than my V2.0. Makes you feel that the printer has more brains and attractive. No pun intended!

DC42: I have not have had the time to read the article yet. Once I do, I will come back with answers.
P.s. Another fellow is having this issue and has posted his issue in the DUET electronics category within the forum.

Return to “RostockMAX v3.2”