Z-Hop Bop

This forum is for discussions specific to the Duet-equipped RostockMAX v3.2 3D printer.
Iamarobot
Plasticator

Z-Hop Bop

Post by Iamarobot »

Finishing up my second 8-hour plus print on my upgraded V3 to V3.2 machine, and I'm getting loud thunking as the nozzle returns to print height from almost every Z-Hop on the infill, like it's hitting the surface of the print moderately hard as it comes down. Print quality is good, extrusion is good, dimensions seem fine, but I'm not used to so much sound from the nozzle hitting the print.

Wondering if I just couldn't hear the noise over the sound of the Rambo board on my V3, or if I need to tweak settings or belt tension or...? I've got Z Hop set at 0.5mm in Cura (was at 1mm default). As this is only the 2nd successful big print after the upgrade, I'm still getting settings and setup tweaked.

Anyone else have a loud "clop" as the nozzle comes back down?
EmileM
Plasticator

Re: Z-Hop Bop

Post by EmileM »

Iamarobot wrote:Finishing up my second 8-hour plus print on my upgraded V3 to V3.2 machine, and I'm getting loud thunking as the nozzle returns to print height from almost every Z-Hop on the infill, like it's hitting the surface of the print moderately hard as it comes down. Print quality is good, extrusion is good, dimensions seem fine, but I'm not used to so much sound from the nozzle hitting the print.

Wondering if I just couldn't hear the noise over the sound of the Rambo board on my V3, or if I need to tweak settings or belt tension or...? I've got Z Hop set at 0.5mm in Cura (was at 1mm default). As this is only the 2nd successful big print after the upgrade, I'm still getting settings and setup tweaked.

Anyone else have a loud "clop" as the nozzle comes back down?
Original V3.2 owner here.
Do you have the ES300 hot end effector?
Mine does a minute rattlefrom the hotend on great accelerations.
And I am starting to believe it the hotend fan assembly rattling.
But mine rattles on every jerky movement and not only on the hop.
Iamarobot
Plasticator

Post by Iamarobot »

I have the SE300 hot end and effector, just like the stock V3.2, I believe. I don't have any rattle - the noise I was getting was (as far as I can tell) from the tip of the nozzle impacting the surface of print when coming back down from a Z hop move. Check the screws holding the fans into the platform?

I turned on combing in Cura, and other than some minor scarring on infill as the nozzle moved from one end of the print to the other on some layers, it completely eliminated most Z hop and any noise. The print I did yesterday was probably the best & quietest print I've ever gotten out of the printer - perfect first layer, and everything very happy. If it keeps printing like this, I'll be very glad I did the upgrade, and I wasn't at all unhappy with the V3 performance.
jcarlin
Plasticator

Post by jcarlin »

I also get the "tapping" of the head. It's like it is feeling for the top of the print. Until I read this thread I didn't consider it an issue. Does anyone know for sure?
R-Max v3.2 (upgraded)
Powerspec Ultra

Simplify3D

Return to “RostockMAX v3.2”