Trying to setup Octoprint n a raspberry pi

Desktops, Laptops, Tablets and other computer related hardware
DerStig
Printmaster!

Trying to setup Octoprint n a raspberry pi

Post by DerStig »

and I can't get the damn thing to get onto my network. I'm a mac guy and command lines are not my thing, can anyone help?
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Trying to setup Octoprint n a raspberry pi

Post by bubbasnow »

wired or wireless? pi3? octopi or octoprint?
DerStig
Printmaster!

Post by DerStig »

bubbasnow wrote:wired or wireless? pi3? octopi or octoprint?
Wireless Pi3 Octoprint
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

well if you are compiling your own octoprint support will be pretty limited, but the image of raspian should have a network.txt file you can edit on your MAC prior to installation into the raspberryPi. here you will put in your network and password info so when the pi boots it will automatically log in. no cmd line required. That being said, do you have the octoprint installed correctly on to the image... I dont know. if all else fails just download the octopi image, enter the required network info into the image prior to installation into the pi and see if that works.
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

When editing the network.txt file, don't forget to remove the # from the front of the lines you want to use!
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

He's already been through this (he posted on the facebook page last night). My mac install went quite smoothly and I'm out of ideas for why his isn't. The issue is getting it on his wifi network.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Make sure the SSID and password are encapsulated by single quotes, not double.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
DerStig
Printmaster!

Post by DerStig »

I got it working but I have NO IDEA what I did. Thanks for the help
rurwin
Printmaster!

Post by rurwin »

The Raspberry Pi 3 is by default set to a safe WiFi region in that it only uses channels that are valid everywhere. That can be a problem in Europe at least as we can use three more channels. If your router has chosen one of those then you will have problems.

To fix it, you need to ssh to the Pi and run "sudo raspi-config" Choose Internationalization Options and select the correct country for Wi-FI.
You'll find Britain under "GB", other countries under their common abbreviations.

Exit Raspi-config and reboot. (sudo reboot)

This is only an issue when you are using the Pi3's built-in WiFi. USB sticks are already configured for the country that you buy them in.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

DerStig, did you muck with the network.txt file at all again? Mysteries like this bother me. I just went through a long sequence of mysteries getting my DropLit to work with nanoDLP.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

Do you know it was booting at all prior?
DerStig
Printmaster!

Post by DerStig »

morgandc wrote:Do you know it was booting at all prior?
Yes it was booting. I had it running into a monitor and using a keyboard.
mhackney wrote:DerStig, did you muck with the network.txt file at all again? Mysteries like this bother me. I just went through a long sequence of mysteries getting my DropLit to work with nanoDLP.
Yeah I kept working on the file. I ended up building a new card, redoing the network text file. Booting it with monitor and keyboard connected and then checking Ifconfig and it reported back an ip address. then I tried SSH'ing into the pi and it kept telling me the password was wrong and would halt the SSH. on a flier I put the ip address into my web browser and it launched octoprint. I hav3e zero idea what I changed and I dont care. after it launched fine a few times I used "apple pi baker" and put a pie in the freezer (Made a image of the boot card)

It's nice having just a power cable going to the printer and being able to print. Now I have to track down all your Gcode controls you made for octopi and get them into it.

I shoot movies and TV shows for a living and I can do that in my sleep, but doing all this "programming" is driving me insane
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

Glad you got it working. Next time you want to set up a wireless printer, try a Duet WiFi controller. It Just Works. 8-)
DerStig
Printmaster!

Post by DerStig »

dc42 wrote:Glad you got it working. Next time you want to set up a wireless printer, try a Duet WiFi controller. It Just Works. 8-)

That's on my MetalMax build. I'm very much looking forward to finishing that one

Return to “Computer Hardware”