Help selecting new computer

Desktops, Laptops, Tablets and other computer related hardware
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Help selecting new computer

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Thanks for the answer Mac, now it makes sense.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Now that I've figured out how to do it in Win 7, They've probably changed how to do it in Win 10.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

in Win 10, there is still a manage button. I usually prefer to just go the the very corner where the start icon is, and right click to get to the tool menu, then choose disk management.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
RegB
Printmaster!

Post by RegB »

It isn't ALL THAT BAD of an idea to back up a hard drive to that same hard drive - - unless you believe in the types of head crashes of the 1970s with the dreaded spiral scratch(fatal).
In THIS century we get a few bad spots once in a while, SOME device drivers will detect them and map them out.
If you have to do a restore from the same hard disk's save area it won't be to the same bad areas.

Anyway, pleased MWBytes worked for you.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Reg, I'd like to point out that not only did you necro the thread (more than 1.5 years old), but that backing up to the same hard-drive, while useful against accidental deletions, and bad blocks (that many modern filesystems can correct reasonably well.), is typically useless against malware, hardware failure (modern hard-drives, when they fail, typically don't give more than smart warning until they fail to power on or spin up), accidental deletion (formatting an entire drive, when you meant to only get a volume), and a multitude of other issues.

Backups, properly speaking, should not be online and connected at all times. A second live copy is a mirror. Backups, if you want to guard against data loss, should be diverse and offline. Four copies (including the live one), three locations, two mediums. But that's further than even many companies go. I tend towards keeping a mirror (on a different OS, circuit, and filesystem), and an offsite cloud copy of anything important, plus optical copies of mid-size but critical files.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
RegB
Printmaster!

Post by RegB »

Yes, yes, all that and more.
In a previous life the "philosophy" was about whole backup systems in different time zones with their transactions offset by various intervals, e.g. an hour behind, 4 hours, 8 hours, etc.
Some not in the snow belt, some not in earthquake prone areas, some not subject to power outage due to too much desert sun, tsunamis, etc.

Operator/programmer errors have always been the biggest risks.
if they delete all employees with DoB greater than x instead of age greater than y - - get it fixed before the shadow systems execute that transaction.

For HOBBY (which is where I am currently "at" with fused deposition and other numerically controlled "toys") good enough is good enough.
Even microslop's faux OS can now repair SOME of its self corruptions these days, it is tolerable for hobby use.

Return to “Computer Hardware”