aluminum bed plate and 24v PSU

Desktops, Laptops, Tablets and other computer related hardware
fiddypal
Plasticator

aluminum bed plate and 24v PSU

Post by fiddypal »

Are there any places that sell a premade aluminum plate for the rostock? Google has not been very helpful to find a source.

Also, is it possible to replace the PSU with a 24v one that will still fit inside the rostock?
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Re: aluminum bed plate and 24v PSU

Post by mvansomeren »

This wasn't made specifically for any 3D printer but this is what I use and it works well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271575080432?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I put it between the Onyx and the glass. It really helps to evenly heat the glass. Of course, with a 12vpsu, it does take longer to heat, but the even heat distribution is worth it.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I've used these: http://www.sandsmachine.com/alumweb.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

That 1/16" 12" diameter aluminum disk is PERFECT for this application. At $12 I wouldn't hesitate to pick one or more up. Back in the day when I manufactured the 1/8" aluminum heat dissipator I had the idea that the aluminum should be screwed firmly down through the Onyx to keep it flat. That would be ideal and my printer is set up that way and it has worked perfectly for several years. But, in retrospect, if you are putting borosilicate on top AND if you make sure the bed is pretty near flat, a thin aluminum dissipator that just floats on the Onyx between it and the glass is a perfectly good solution and a lot less problematic. I took a bath refunding customers when the aluminum plates warped. 1/16" is thin enough to hold flat with binder clips.

As for power supplies, read my build thread. I replaced my supplies with a 12V and a 24V supply - both in the base. Now, several years later with the availability of 24V heater cartridges, etc, I could get rid of the 12V supply. I show how I mounted mine in the base, it can be retrofitted to a completed machine but is a lot easier during the build.

cheers,
Michael

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler

Return to “Computer Hardware”