New Slic3r Prusa Edition (rocks)

A place to talk about slic3r software (http://slic3r.org)
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

New Slic3r Prusa Edition (rocks)

Post by mhackney »

https://github.com/prusa3d/Slic3r/relea ... ion_1.33.3

Prusa has been overhauling the venerable Slic3r slicer. The previous release back in Nov was awesome. Not only have they re-written code in C++ to improve performance and reliability, they added some great new features like the cubic 3 dimensional infill (which is excellent). A new version was released this weekend, see above. In addition to additional C++porting it adds variable layer heights (!) and much improved support generation.

Prior to this release, I began using Slic3r Prusa Edition more and more (especially on my i3 MK2) as it is generating very nice gcode and actually works reliably. This new version offers features even my favorite KISSlicer doesn't have. Many people are claiming that Slic3r Prusa Edition is catching up to and surpassing S3D in many areas - and is open source and free. If you are thinking about S3D I STRONGLY encourage you to try this slicer.
Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 10.20.27 AM.png

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
joe
Printmaster!

Re: New Slic3r Prusa Edition (rocks)

Post by joe »

Thanks for posting this. I am giving it a try but find the transition from one layer height to another, with the variable layer tool, leaves a very noticeable line.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

This is beta but I found it did a great job on the Marvin model (almost a spherical body). Prusa has a very active git for this project so file bugs if you find them. They are seriously overhauling this slicer by storm.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Oh and did you update the config files as required?

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
jmpreuss
Printmaster!

Post by jmpreuss »

Is there a profile for the max v3? Our makerspace just finished building one and I'm looking for an open source slicer to use instead of S3D that I use myself.
PTMNBN="Printer that must not be named" - a heavily upgraded Replicator 2
adarcher
Printmaster!

Post by adarcher »

I continue to use cura because it's much more forgiving on model files that "have errors". I loaded a few into this new version of slic3r and every single one had sections missing--and these sections are not easy to "fix" because of the way the modeler combined objects.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

That's too bad, people really should check their models and fix them before posting. Relying on a slicer to fix a mesh is not something I recommend. But IIWII.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
adarcher
Printmaster!

Post by adarcher »

I realize I sounded negative there. This really is a cool thing they are doing. I've got some of my own models that could use this in the future... after I fix my sulking baby of a printer--or is that me I'm talking about?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

:) No worries. I am just a bit sensitive to some of the crap people throw on TV. It causes immeasurable problems for people, especially those with not a lot of 3D printing experience. It isn't hard to make a good mesh and verify it. TV should pre-verify and not allow crappy STLs.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Dionysus480
Printmaster!

Post by Dionysus480 »

OK - I'll bite. What software do you use to repair complex meshes?

I have not done designed parts for Thingiverse, but instead I have tried to make prosthetics for animals missing limbs (actually I have made them successfully from my perspective, jury's out from the animal's side :roll: ). For example, I have a high resolution CT image of the "stump" and I use Fusion 360 to create a custom cup that fits that particular animal. The CT meshes often end up with 40-100k triangles. I can't manually repair them. So I actually count on software at various levels to help identify and repair the problems. I have to admit its frustrating at times.

Second question: Is there a specific config file. Or is it just going through the settings in Slic3r and setting it up. My first prints with it have been good, and I like it better than Cura so far.

Third bonus question: I need a more durable material than the PLA I'm using, but it has to be non-toxic, since animals may lick or eat parts of them. I can send final designs out for laser sintering, but does anyone have a suggestion for a tougher material? I bought some Taulman bridge. I've also been looking at the "tough PLAs."

D
Dionysus480 & Sons

Rostock MAX v2 - "M2D2"

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Are you designing these parts yourself in Fusion 360? If so, THAT's where to design in the supports. That's what I do. Here's an example - the Z shaped part is the support that keeps the inside flat bottom from failing. The part I'm holding is printed with the thin perimeter facing down, like an upside down cup.
FullSizeRender 9.jpg
Since I generate my own meshes, I repair the CAD so it generates good meshes. I use Rhino CAD which also has some basic mesh repair tools. I occasionally use meshmixer but only for models I may have downloaded and never on my own. I always found it odd that someone who took the time to design a complex model that can't be printed without supports didn't take the time to design in integrated supports in order to get the best print possible.

2. I am not aware of any config files but it is simple to set your own up as you've done. It isn't rocket science. Basic printer configuration like bed size and height, max speeds, etc can all be taken from an existing profile from another slicer. So can the perimeters, layer height, nozzle size, temperatures, retracts. Basically if you have a working profile in a slicer, you'll be in the ballpark using those parameters in Slic3r.

3. There are a few options here depending on your requirements. The HTPLAs (like ProtoPasta) have high temp properties and the CF filled PLA is very rigid. Nylon as you mention is another good option, so is PETG and the CF filled PETG.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
adarcher
Printmaster!

Post by adarcher »

I know you don't like repeating things, but when you first posted about that z shaped support I was interested. But now I can't seem to find it. Is it on your blog? I wanna say I just attempted to skim through all the posts there.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I don't remember myself! What do you want to see or know?

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
adarcher
Printmaster!

Post by adarcher »

mhackney wrote:I don't remember myself! What do you want to see or know?
Just the process--"method to your madness". You did some explaining on how you setup the supports to get good results. I've recently gotten fed up with slicer supports myself and the few times I've tried to make supports on my own they always turn out too strong and rip out chunks of the actual part :/

Part of me wants to try making separate models for the supports and give the slicer different settings for those parts, maybe a faster/thinner extrusion will make it a weaker connection, not sure.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Ok, let me post something in my V3 thread so we can find it later...

Ok, here's the post: Supporting Rules

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
adarcher
Printmaster!

Post by adarcher »

mhackney wrote:Ok, let me post something in my V3 thread so we can find it later...

Ok, here's the post: Supporting Rules
Thanks!
gchristopher
Printmaster!

Post by gchristopher »

I've switched from KISSlicer to the Prusa Slic3r and my problems with perimeters meeting curved walls has pretty much vanished. I guess that isolates that problem to the slicing software!

I don't have any other significant observations.
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Was just getting used to KISS but of course I had to see the changes is Slic3r for myself. I really like the new Cubic fill pattern and are printing with it as I type. What seems to be a leftover from before in Slic3r, is that it is touching the bed at X0 Y0 before starting to print. I can't find any custom gcode in Slic3r that would generate that move. When I study the gcode export I find this:

Code: Select all

M109 S210 ; set temperature and wait for it to be reached
G21 ; set units to millimeters
G90 ; use absolute coordinates
M83 ; use relative distances for extrusion
G1 Z0.200 F15000.000
G1 E-2.00000 F1200.00000
G1 Z4.200 F15000.000
G1 X-5.531 Y15.370 F15000.000
G1 Z0.200 F15000.000
G1 E2.00000 F1200.00000
G1 F1800
G1 X-61.947 Y-4.930 E2.02950
G1 X-62.351 Y-5.096 E0.01477
G1 X-62.740 Y-5.294 E0.01477
G1 X-63.112 Y-5.523 E0.01477
G1 X-63.468 Y-5.784 E0.01497
After the M83 Z goes to 0.2 which is probably my touchdown in action. Then it retracts, does a Z-lift and goes to the first coordinate. I wonder why... I hate it, because there will always be some debris at the zero point.

Then at each layer change there is this really erratic behavior that I cannot find a reason for. I have captured both observations in this small video: https://goo.gl/photos/khmKTAZQGNoJGYAR8. Also striking is the really poor surface finnish on the upper layer of a print. It is twice as rough as KISS. I copied all parameters from KISS so I am really wondering why that is.

I was really hoping to get a better experience then before I left Slic3r for KISS, but I guess I will stick to the latter for now.
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Hmm, I just missed the touchdown while filming... ;-)
I have another print running right now, so it will have to wait.
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!

Return to “Slic3r”