Can I print a model from a certain starting point?

A place to talk about slic3r software (http://slic3r.org)
truenorthtrader
Printmaster!

Can I print a model from a certain starting point?

Post by truenorthtrader »

Hey Folks

I have a model I printed half way through it came off the base so I stopped the print, didn't make a skirt or raft, seemed fine but failed.

Is there a way I can start a model or slice it so I can print say the TOP HALF, or at any point instead of the whole thing again?
Any software if Slic3r can't do it?

It would save so much material when I have half a model that is still good, just some glue and the second half would be awesome.
thanks
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Can I print a model from a certain starting point?

Post by Jimustanguitar »

truenorthtrader
Printmaster!

I've looked through numerous times but still can't see anything about cutting a model. Netfabb does it but it's over $1700.00 for the full version so that's out of the question for me. :(
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I was talking about the section where he's building the Tardis. He creates different slicer settings for different layers of the print. I believe that you could use similar settings to only print part of the model.
I've not done this however, so it may not be possible the way I think it is :)

Plan B would be to open the model with editing software like Sketchup and just cut the model in half and save it as a new stl.
truenorthtrader
Printmaster!

Thanks yes that was very enlightening I still have yet to try different speeds and layer heights within a model.
It would be great if the slicing programs did this automatically based on the geometry!

I actually did something easier I just found Cura has a "Cut off object bottom" function. You put in mm where from the bottom you want to start printing and voila it slices from there!

That way any internal geometry is still kept and I don't have to mess with making bottom polygons on objects.

That's a handy function!! Off to finishing the model!

Return to “Slic3r”