No Layer 1

Talk about KISSlicer software here (http://kisslicer.com)
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

No Layer 1

Post by mvansomeren »

I have an stl that I downloaded from Thingiverse that needs support material. None of the built in slicers engines in Matter Control will build the support material even with the box checked in settings. (Slic3r just errors out). I verify this in Layer view.

I loaded the stl in Kisslicer and generated gcode and loaded that into Matter control. It shows the necessary support material in the Layer view, however the print starts on layer 2. Layer 1 is blank. I have no idea how to correct this. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. I'm completely new to Kisslicer.
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: No Layer 1

Post by Mac The Knife »

Seems to be more of a problem with fMattercontrol, then it is with KissSlicer. I'd post this in the other thread.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

A link to the item might help too. The STL may very well be floating above "0". You get what you payoff on Thingiverse...

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

Mac The Knife wrote:Seems to be more of a problem with fMattercontrol, then it is with KissSlicer. I'd post this in the other thread.
It very well could be MatterControl causing the problem, but I thought I'd start with the application that generated the gcode since that is what tells the printer what to do.
mhackney wrote:A link to the item might help too. The STL may very well be floating above "0". You get what you payoff on Thingiverse...
This is the item. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:118125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the piece that I'm having difficulty with is the "Ark_Top_Cherubs_Only_Fixed.stl"
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Repetier host reports that the model is not manifold,,,, and won't slice it. MC ver1.2.3 will generate a gcode, that if I load it into RH, shows it having a bottom layer. It does show a problem with one of the cherubs,,,, it wants to add a solid layer between the wings.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
gestalt73
Printmaster!

Post by gestalt73 »

Hmm, ok, the MatterControl layer view seems to not be happy when loading up KISSlicer gcode. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Also, notice that MatterControl most likely reports something like 5053 layers, where KISSlicer should calculate out to 23.048*5= 115 layers with 200 micron layers.

Pulling the STL into KISSlicer and slicing it definitely shows that the model has a solid base, and slices correctly.

Pulling open the GCODE file shows that your first layer is laid down at 0.2mm above the bed, just like it should:

Code: Select all

; BEGIN_LAYER_OBJECT z=0.20
G1 X-23.93 Y17.77 Z0.7 E0 F7500
G1 X-23.93 Y17.77 Z0.2 E0   <== first layer at 0.2
G1 E3 F2400
G1 X-23.8 Y17.56 E3.0113 F1200
G1 X-23.46 Y17.32 E3.0305
G1 X-22.68 Y16.52 E3.0814
KISSlicer looks fine for output. Support material is added, layer starts where it should. Were you having issues when you sent the KISSlicer generated gcode to the printer?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

But even KISS reports mesh errors with the model. These should be fixed to eliminate issues.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

gestalt73 wrote:Hmm, ok, the MatterControl layer view seems to not be happy when loading up KISSlicer gcode. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Also, notice that MatterControl most likely reports something like 5053 layers, where KISSlicer should calculate out to 23.048*5= 115 layers with 200 micron layers.

Pulling the STL into KISSlicer and slicing it definitely shows that the model has a solid base, and slices correctly.

Pulling open the GCODE file shows that your first layer is laid down at 0.2mm above the bed, just like it should:

Code: Select all

; BEGIN_LAYER_OBJECT z=0.20
G1 X-23.93 Y17.77 Z0.7 E0 F7500
G1 X-23.93 Y17.77 Z0.2 E0   <== first layer at 0.2
G1 E3 F2400
G1 X-23.8 Y17.56 E3.0113 F1200
G1 X-23.46 Y17.32 E3.0305
G1 X-22.68 Y16.52 E3.0814
KISSlicer looks fine for output. Support material is added, layer starts where it should. Were you having issues when you sent the KISSlicer generated gcode to the printer?
Yes. It loaded it fine. But in the Layer view, it shows starting on layer 2. If you move it to layer 1, the screen goes blank. I tried to print it anyway, just in case it was reporting incorrectly but, alas, it didn't lay down anything for layer 1 and of course, layer 2 was too high. I'm trying to figure out why it doesn't have anything on layer 1. I contacted the guy who posted it on Thingiverse and he's emailing me the gcode for a version with support material that he created in Simplify3D. Hopefully that will solve the immediate problem but I still would like to know why the disconnect between Kisslicer and Matter Control to avoid future issues.
Glacian22
Printmaster!

Post by Glacian22 »

Have you tried running the STL through Netfabb to see if it repairs it?
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

Glacian22 wrote:Have you tried running the STL through Netfabb to see if it repairs it?
No, please elaborate...what is Netfabb?
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

* update. I ran the stl through NetFabb Basic and there were a lot of problems with it. After repairing it, I exported repaired stl. I loaded that into Kisslicer and then exported the gcode into MatterControl and the same issue exists. Blank layer one. Now the good news, I tried the Slic3r engine again and this time it didn't crash and it did generate the support material and is printing on layer 1.

There must be some issue between Kisslicer gcode and MatterControl. I don't know which is the culprit but I do know that the stl isn't the cause (now that its repaired). And Slic3r does now generate the support material. MatterSlicer still totally ignores the support material. Cura also doesn't recognize the support material but it does have layer 1.
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Which is why I'll stick with Repetier Host.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

Mac The Knife wrote:Which is why I'll stick with Repetier Host.
Well, I hit print and instead of printing, the hotend temp began to drop. As soon as I cancel the print and hit preheat the temp goes back up. Gota love it! :?

Return to “KISSlicer”