Easy multi-computer use of KISSlicer

Talk about KISSlicer software here (http://kisslicer.com)
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Easy multi-computer use of KISSlicer

Post by 0110-m-p »

I just posted this over on the kisslicertalk forums and figured I would share here too.

Thought I would share this with others since it has been so awesome/convenient for me to use KISS on multiple computers.

Download the DropBox desktop application on all machines you want to be able to use KISSlicer on. Once installed make a folder named KISSlicer and place your install .exe and all .ini configuration files in this folder. Create a shortcut to your desktop to the .exe file for that specific operating system (can have multiple .exe's in the same KISSlicer folder which shares .ini's).

Now whenever you launch KISSlicer it will launch from your local dropbox folder and all configs will be saved there as well. It will then automatically update the .ini's across all machines so that you never have to sync them manually again.

Here is what my folder looks like...
kisslicer-dropbox.JPG
Current Machines || Rostock Max (V1) | V3DR ||
Previous Machines || Flashforge Creator Pro ||
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Easy multi-computer use of KISSlicer

Post by mhackney »

Nice idea. I suppose it would work across Mac/Windows too if you put both apps in the folder.

The new versions of Kiss have support for a round build platform so you no longer need the STL for the platform (just FYI).

cheers,
Michael

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

Never really thought about not needing the .stl for the bed anymore. Good to know.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Would this work for mattercontrol?
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

teoman wrote:Would this work for mattercontrol?
I don't think so because mattercontrol actually gets installed as a program to windows. KISSlicer you just run as an EXE without any installation. If I'm wrong about this, someone correct me.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Ok.

I did a bit of fiddling, and I managed to get MatterControl to work on the Mac. (using Yosemite, do not upgrade to yosemite, it sucks. Brakes half of your applications such as Matlab and anything to do with Java... )

Procedure:

1) Use finder to navigate to your Applications folder and not the Rocket thingie.
2) Drag MatterControl over to your favorite folder in dropbox but do not release.
3) Press "OPTION" on your keyboard. You will see the Icon change and a green "+" will appear. This will create a copy of MatterControl in dropbox, if you see a small Arrow in the icon, that means that it is creating a link and it will not work.

NOW when you navigate to Dropbox and launch matter control, it will launch from your dropbox folder.

Note: At the end of the procedure, we copied MatterControl to Dropbox, but the original item still remains there. RENAME it to something else for now, so if things go wrong you do not curse at me.

OLD HABITS DIE HARD:
If you cannot be bothered to navigate to Dropbox everytime you want to use MatterControl then you have 2 options.
Option one:
Launch matter control, its icon will appear on your dock. If you change it's place, it will become a permanent item there. So from now on you can easily launch it by clicking that.

Option two:
If you want MatterControl back in your Applications folder as a symbolic link, you can drag it back from Dropbox to your applications folder. However this thends to move it or copy it there. You have to press SHIFT and then while pressing shift you have to press COMMAND. This should create a small arrow indicating that you are creating a symbolic link. For some reason my mac did not want to do this while moving stuff to my Applications folder, so i resorted to using the Terminal to do it:

Fire up a Terminal and navigate to your Applications folder:

Code: Select all

cd /Applications
now you want to create a link in the Applications folder to MatterControl in Dropbox:

Code: Select all

ln -s /Users/teo/Dropbox/MatterControl.app MatterControl.app
Explanation:
ln : we want to create a link
-s: we want a symbolic link
/Users/teo/Dropbox/MatterControl.app: the location where i copied my mattercontrol (Tip: Pressing tab in terminal is auto complete, and pressing it twice ususally lists the options). Obviously you have to write the path to where you copied your application.
MatterControl.app: The name of the link file. ( I named it the same as the original file, but you can name it whatever you want).

Now you should see MatterControl.app in you applications folder, just like we started out however now it is a link to your MatterControl in dropbox. You can tell that it is a link by looking at the icon. It now has a small arrow under it.

HELP THE LINK WORKS BUT I CANNOT FIND MATTERCONTROL, WHERE DID I COPY IT?
Never fear. Use finder to navigate to your Applications folder, single click on the MatterControl link, and press COMMAND + i. This will display info on that file, and there you can see the location under "Original:".

You will have to do the creation of the link in all the Macs that you will be using matter control.

PS: I only did this as a test. so far i am only using a single mac for 3d printing stuff. But there is no reason why it should not work.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.

Return to “KISSlicer”