Hello all!

Introduce yourself to the community!
vrenlos
Prints-a-lot

Hello all!

Post by vrenlos »

I'm a longtime builder/tinkerer with a nasty habit of spending too much time at my engineering job :D

I had my first brush with 3D printing many years ago in a university setting, but never thought about getting my own until a couple of months ago. Enter the Monoprice Maker Select v2.1 - I ordered around Black Friday for their sale given the huge amount of positive reviews abound pretty much everywhere. "Just do these mods and it's great" they all say. "Punches way above its price" they say. "Smoking controller box and a room full of stink" is my newest reply after just a couple of weeks of tinkering/setup/modding/dialing in. Needless to say I convinced them to take it back for a refund, and I went about researching a more reliable option that I'd feel safe to leave unattended.

I initially looked at the Prusa i3 mk2, and while it seems a pretty great machine with a ton of hype going on right now, I wasn't thrilled about the PCB build surface, nor the entries in their forums about the inductive probe not functioning properly, or worse, slamming into the bed and breaking itself. Couple these incidents (be they widespread or not) with the 2-month+ lead time, and defecting to delta-land didn't seem too bad of an option! I'm particularly happy to have come across SeeMeCNC as a US-based option, and from what I've heard the support/service is as top notch as their kits.

So now I'm here twiddling my thumbs, waiting on my Rostock v3 to ship! I absolutely can't wait to tear into it! In the meantime, I'm wondering if I should use the whole mess of Al extrusions I bought to make an enclosure for my original maker select to build another printer...contemplating a VORON build.

Anyway, hi everyone!
joe
Printmaster!

Re: Hello all!

Post by joe »

Hello and welcome to the forum. Good luck with the build!
vrenlos
Prints-a-lot

Re: Hello all!

Post by vrenlos »

Thanks! I'm positively itching for UPS to show up, but it looks like it won't be until Monday :(

Return to “New Member introduction”