Canada Team

Introduce yourself to the community!
BenoitD
Plasticator

Canada Team

Post by BenoitD »

Hi everyone,

We are an engineering team waiting for our first 3D printer, a Rostock Max V3 kit. We are working on project to reduce Hospital Acquired Infections with Germicidal Surface Disinfection unit.

We hope to succeed with our 70 inch long part to print ... in many pieces, but much less than our previous choice FlashForge Creator Pro (150 mm vs 400 mm height max). Any tips to print aluminum extrusion-style plastic part (settings) would be much appreciated. I plan to use the 1 mm nozzle and print 0.5 mm z-layer.

Regards,
Benoit Despatis, P.Eng.
Chief Engineer at Sanuvox
Benoit Despatis, P.Eng.
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Re: Canada Team

Post by Tincho85 »

Hi and welcome! Hope you enjoy building the machine.
Feel free to ask anything.

For better aid with your printer settings share that .STL (or a similar one if you worry about someone copying it).
If it's a very tall print, then I would recommend PLA or PET-G, ABS will crack/lift due to shrinkage if you don't have an enclosure or a heating chamber.

Best of luck
Martin
Martín S.
BenoitD
Plasticator

Post by BenoitD »

I went with PLA+.

I need to choose my slicer software too. I thought I would go with Simplify 3D to generate the gcode and use OctoPi to print, but now I am not sure. Too much forum readings maybe ...

Regards,
Ben
Benoit Despatis, P.Eng.
joe
Printmaster!

Post by joe »

Simplify 3D works well. It's easy to figure out, slices very quickly and the user interface is simple. Sure some people trash it but when it comes down to ease of use it just works.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

As one of the people who "trash it", I will say that the legal issues with Simplify3D, vis-a-vis the license, in that they claim all the G-code, settings, Etc emitted, as well as reserving the right to revoke your license to the program and all the G-code it created, is annoying, and they have the usual overbroad EULA (I read it and the license, so that makes it what, 7 people now who've read it including their lawyers who wrote it?), and that the company is unwilling to offer assurances that they won't attempt to revoke your license for sharing G-code or settings, nor claim ownership of the G-code.

If I'm paying for software that is mostly matched by free options (Craftware is as good at custom supports, as is mesh-mixer, while KISSlicer is a better slicer technically), I expect to have the same ownership of my files, if not better, than the free options.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
BenoitD
Plasticator

Post by BenoitD »

Done.

Calibration process ... Done !
First print (cube) ... Done !
[PLA+ with eSun filament @210HE, @60HB, 0.25 mm first layer, 0.3 mm layer]

Issues so far :
Thermistor, def on LCD Screen
To solve the issue, connect bed thermistor on T2 and not on T1 (it tooks time to find out, but we did)

People at the office are impress with it.

Food for thought, try to find a better way to remove the scrap after print and the print itself. Our spatula may be too thick.

Regards,
Benoit Despatis, P.Eng.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

My suggestion, for removal from the print itself, use a wood-burning kit or a soldering iron with a hot knife attachment. For removal from the bed, I suggest honing the spatula SeeMe provides on a diamond or waterstone along one edge and the tip.

Glad to hear it's impressive. One suggestion would be especially for thin wall stuff, see if vase mode provides a usable part for really tall things, as that eliminates the force from the nozzle changing directions as much, as well as keeping infill from detaching internally as you go up (Since it isn't present in the first place).
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001

Return to “New Member introduction”