Looking for a 3D Printer

Introduce yourself to the community!
robstah
Plasticator

Re: Looking for a 3D Printer

Post by robstah »

Oh no, a DSM guy.

Just kidding. ;)

The way I see it, there is a lot of cool design bits to this kit. I will agree, the u-joints are a bit on the goofy side with the sanding and fit. I was actually looking at swapping in some heim joints like these in their place:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#cadinlnord/60645k611/=m34m2k

and adding aluminum rod in between, which should add even more rigidity.

Either way, just understand that this kit is going through growing pains. It happens to all kits out there. No one is going to stop you from improving on it either.

Coming from a machinist/engineering background and looking at the overall package, this has got to be the best bang for your buck 3D printer out there. The build space is huge, the layer thickness is impressive, and the delta platform is really nice.

As for your concern with the layer thickness, you should check out what people are doing with acetone vapor baths to smooth/gloss out the finish. Here's a good video review over the process:

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20130226- ... vapor.html
type
Prints-a-lot

Re: Looking for a 3D Printer

Post by type »

Hahah yes a DSM guy! That was great :)

I have looked into the vapor baths and it looks great! I cannot wait to start getting involved with that.

The more I am here the more I am agreeing that this kit is the best bang for your buck, and you hit it all on the dot. Amazing build space, great resolution and yes the delta platform is awesome!

I would love to print out some brackets to hold my Electronic boost control for the DSM and Im sure many more things will come to mind after that. I also am really tempted in printing the lowers of at least the AR15 and others, that is just to tempting! Im also starting designing a product I want to bring to market and there is not a better way to go through prototyping than a 3D Printer. I was going to send off my CAD designs to shapeways or something but after 100 dollar quotes and knowing I would go through 5-10 different variations It would be way more cost effiecent to make them myself.

Return to “New Member introduction”