Hello and new to forum

Introduce yourself to the community!
MK99
Plasticator

Hello and new to forum

Post by MK99 »

Hello everyone, from the NorthEast US. I'm new to the forum and 3D printing in general. It's a hobby that I've always been interested in pursuing, because I like building things and electronics. I rather recently saved a Rostock Max V2 from ending up in the garbage and I've been working on getting it to print reliably ever since. I made my way to this forum to seek help in figuring out some of the issues this machine has been having and to look for some upgrading suggestions. I won't get too into detail here and will make a post in the V2 specific area, but basically if a problem exists, this machine has it. I'll do a short list below:
  • Bed adhesion issues
  • No cooling fans worked at all when I received it
  • The hotend thermistor was gone when I got it
  • Will stop midprint sometimes
  • Can't print anything with complicated angles
  • Print warping issues(even with bed covered in painters tape)
  • Cannot hold a solid temp after thermistor and hotend was replaced
  • Won't start prints sometimes because it cannot reach the correct nozzle temp without being preheated
  • Nozzle clogging issues
  • Tends to get extruder jams once a print, at least or break filament off
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Hello and new to forum

Post by Mac The Knife »

Your next upgrade should be a power supply upgrade, That will help with keeping the hotend and bed temperatures stable, and also get up to temperature faster. Check the connections for both at the RamBo board, make sure the screws are tighten, as they can loosen with all of the heat cycles.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
MK99
Plasticator

Post by MK99 »

So, I didn't go into detail, but I have already replaced the power supply. It had the standard ATX computer power supply and I put a new, much higher wattage one. I replaced the hotend and made it so the fans all work now. It worked enough to get a few prints down, but then it started going back the other way again.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

If you haven't, I'd check the connectors on the board. viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11656&p=103602&hil ... ef#p103602

The upgraded powersupply I meant was ditching the ATX and using a Meanwell, or similar powersupply. Like this one that's out of stock,,,, https://www.seemecnc.com/collections/pa ... supply-kit
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
MK99
Plasticator

Post by MK99 »

Thanks for the tip. I will check them again, but I have already.

I did look into that when I upgraded the existing one, but like you said, they were out of stock, and still are, and I didn't want to wait for them to come back in stock. I'm using an 850W, fully modular ATX PSU. Probably overkill, but I wanted to make sure.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

The advantage to the other psu is the higher voltage out put,,, 13.7 volts I think? and there's normally a potentiometer that you can easily adjust the voltage up a little higher. Computer psu are normally locked to 12 volts,,, that extra volt or so does make a difference.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
MK99
Plasticator

Post by MK99 »

Ok, Thanks for the help. I'll continue to watch and see when they become available. I posted in the V2 forum in detail about my issues and what other upgrades I'm looking into.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

You can also get that power supply off of Amazon I think.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects

Return to “New Member introduction”