CURA

RegB
Printmaster!

CURA

Post by RegB »

Cura is the recommended slicer for Artemis, so we should probably have a thread for it.

I have been using 3.4.1 - which is a bit later than the version mentioned in the Artemis docs.
Today I got an automated notice that 3.5 is available - and an invitation to download it.
Anyone try this yet, either in beta or as released ?
RegB
Printmaster!

Re: CURA

Post by RegB »

OK, here's something I haven't figured out (yet) about CURA.
There is a tab for "MONITOR" right beside the PREPARE tab on the top left side.
It ALWAYS says the printer is not connected, even when the printer IS connected via its web interface.

So is this tab active ONLY if/when there is a USB cable running from the printer to the ARTEMIS ?
If so, is there anything useful to be seen while the printer is printing ?

Alternatively, is there a setting to tell it where on 192.168.1. the printer can be found ?
(although that is the DUET interface, so maybe not)
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

That feature is only for printers that Cura knows how to talk to over USB.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

Does Cura support Telnet connection to the printer? If so then you just need to configure it to use Telnet instead of serial, and enable Telnet on the Duet using the M586 command.

However, if you want to monitor the printer, then running Duet Web Control on the PC next to Cura will give you more information.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

The only network connectivity that I'm aware of is provided by plug-ins like the one that allows you to send print jobs straight from Cura to Duet-equipped printers. There's no monitoring feature though - it would be kind of silly in the face of what you get out of the default web interface on the Duet itself. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

RegB wrote:Cura is the recommended slicer for Artemis, so we should probably have a thread for it.

I have been using 3.4.1 - which is a bit later than the version mentioned in the Artemis docs.
Today I got an automated notice that 3.5 is available - and an invitation to download it.
Anyone try this yet, either in beta or as released ?
What's wrong with this one? http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewforum.php?f=56
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
RegB
Printmaster!

Post by RegB »

That thread doesn't show up under software, or I would have used it.

My puzzle of the week;
Produce a knob about 1 1/2 or 2 inches in diameter.
Nothing fancy, just a ball with a hole through it for a bolt and an extruded hex cut to accept the bolt head and act on it as a built in wrench.

Since it is to be foot operated a fair amount of strength is desirable.
It is to lower/raise the dagger board on a sail board, so SOMETIMES it might get a somewhat hurried swift kick instead of the normal push.
"Swift kick" isn't as violent as the term might suggest, this is with a wet and bare foot, not a work boot.

40 or 50% infill seemed reasonable, but the slicer wasn't giving me what I expected.

Although I was getting infill that looked about right in density it only went out to the inner walls for a few mm and then continued as a column with the inner walls getting farther and farther out as the equator is approached.
Looking at the layers within CURA it is clear that there is a point beyond which the infill simply doesn't go out to the inner walls.

Above the equator as the diameters of the layers decrease eventually the inner walls meet the column of infill and fuse together.
Probably strong enough for its intended use, but for "academic" reasons the failure of the infill to go all the way out to the inner walls is still "interesting".
RegB
Printmaster!

Post by RegB »

The "solution" to the problem I was describing above turned out to be the infill support setting.
It SEEMED like a good idea to have infill support, but I either didn't read or didn't digest the word "only" in the description.
It DISABLES infill EXCEPT where needed for support - not at all what I would have expected, but the word "only" is operative.
What was happening (of course, easy to understand in retrospect) was that support was being provided for the "dome" top of the sphere as the overhang angle approaches horizontal.

A "Duhh" moment for sure.

Return to “Other”