OnShape out of Beta

Windshadow
Printmaster!

OnShape out of Beta

Post by Windshadow »

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2015/12/1 ... hape-apps/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
this article covers the software well I just wish i had more time to spend learning how to use it.

they are also offering 2 free months for beta users who decide to go to the paid subscription model.
bot
Printmaster!

Re: OnShape out of Beta

Post by bot »

Fusion 360 is the answer to those snubbed by the end of beta. This is why I invested zero time in onshape. I knew the beta wouldn't last. Fusion is free for good. You can make 80k a year using Fusion 360 and it's still free.
*not actually a robot
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

onshape is still free for non commercial use and is closer to the ashlar vellum solid modeler i used to use so easier for me to transition into
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Oh... woops. Didn't know they were keeping it free for non-commercial use. If it's more your style, go for it. I honestly think Fusion 360 will be the dominant package in years to come. FEA, CAM, rendering, all included. Big things are in the works for it too. I heard a bird say that eventually they will merge Inventor into 360.
*not actually a robot
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

I've used both and prefer OnShape (I think their mates implementation is MUCH better), but I transitioned to 360 because of the CAM available in the free version.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

What free version of Fusion 360 are you referring to? Looking at their site, they have a free trial but subscriptions are $30/month. I recall looking at their CAM and it was very expensive for true 3D work. Has that changed? What about lathe CAM or is it still only mill?

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Fusion 360 is free for Students, Hobbyists and Startups making under $100k/year. You have to register an account with autodesk, sayin if you're a student or whatever, then you can download and use the software for free. Some of the free licenses are good for 3 years, the startup one is good for one year. At the end of the licence term you can simply renew if you still qualify. Being a student or hobbyist requires that you say "I'm a student or hobbyist."

I don't know if they have lathe CAM -- I have never used the cam functionality.
*not actually a robot
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

The CAM in 360 is basically HSM Works (which happens to be my favorite CAM), it's slightly more full featured than the free version of HSM, but still basically just 2.5D.

Return to “Other”