Alternative Heated Enclosure for Rostock MAX

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
Aflac
Printmaster!

Re: Alternative Heated Enclosure for Rostock MAX

Post by Aflac »

Another question, how far from the print bed does the walls of the enclosure need to be so that the effector platform can not impact them?
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

I have noticed that I get some warping with abs, so I'm considering an enclosure. Ive read some stuff on here that heated enclosures can affect the beltd and the cheapskates... but I'm wondering if I just enclosure the printer and use passive heating from the bed, would that be enough to combat warping without having to deal with the other problems enclosures bring?
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

An enclosed, but unheated printer, does not fully eliminate cracking and warping, but it does help quite a bit. I printed two identical parts, and one un-enclosed (Admittedly, months apart, with different spools and environmental conditions) cracked in many places, as well as de-laminating on an alignment flange (No, these are not structural parts, they are for miniatures, so it was only 30% infill, not my usual 90-100 for structural parts). The new one, with the enclosure, but without the heaters on (I haven't yet gotten them working with a Rambo on their own, and didn't want to mess with a temp controller (And with the new Duet coming in in a week or so, and the rambo currently out of commission, that priority dropped. I will work on it more if the Rambo is repairable, and will change the primary focus to the duet (Luckily, I have many available dummy loads, and even will have some working sensors, since I can use the old PT100 board still, and a damaged (I managed to pull the can off one somehow) pt100, as neither will be live parts for the printer in the foreseeable future. (if the rambo is truly a write-off, I will likely let some other intrepid fellow work at it, and focus on the Duet first and foremost, unless I end up with another Ramps based board (Such as if one of the Taz's blows a FET, and the department writes off a mostly functional board, or I am otherwise allowed to experiment with them (and if I get it working, well, we are building fume enclosures for them already, and even though the plans mostly call for PLA, the added function is unlikely to be written off))
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

Parenthesis overload.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Nah, it'll still compile. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”