The Vicious .2mm Nozzle

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
thingismith
Printmaster!

The Vicious .2mm Nozzle

Post by thingismith »

Does anyone have experience with the .2mm (or .15mm) nozzle? I'm trying to print nylon (Taulman Bridge) and can't get it to calibrate right. I've been trying out 626pilot's method for calibration http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10081, but every time I try to print the single-wall by altering the extrusion multiplier, the wall is either thicker than my proposed extrusion width (.15-.32mm), or I get walls that look like spongy columns.

I've tried altering the heat to 10 degrees hotter and colder (from 240), the layer height (.02-.05). I'm at my wit's end, I'm wondering if it's even possible to get such a thin EW with Bridge. I just ran a few tests with ABS, and can't seem to get the walls less than .28 on a .24 EW.

Thoughts? Maybe there's another calibration method to consider? Could it be that my nozzle isn't a true .2mm? I'd like to avoid going SLA.
Glacian22
Printmaster!

Re: The Vicious .2mm Nozzle

Post by Glacian22 »

Nylon is a little springy, and with the fierce backpressure you'd get from a .2mm nozzle, you may simply have found a case where the bowden tube is allowing too much backlash. You might have better luck going super slow, or shortening the filament path in order to reduce that springiness as a factor by moving to a flying extruder setup.

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”