Nylon

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Re: Nylon

Post by Tincho85 »

hey guys, I've just bought a roll of Nylon.
Is a hardened steel nozzle required? Will a brass nozzle wear?
Martín S.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

For generic nylons, the nozzle will not wear. if it's not a metal hotend, you may melt PEEK. If it's a filled nylon, it may cause wear, but I haven't seen any filled nylons yet.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

cope413 might know more about the blue nylon trimmer line. It might have glass fibers which could wear a brass nozzle. Taulman's is pure nylon and shouldn't cause an issue at all.
cope413
Printmaster!

Post by cope413 »

KAS wrote:cope413 might know more about the blue nylon trimmer line. It might have glass fibers which could wear a brass nozzle. Taulman's is pure nylon and shouldn't cause an issue at all.
The blue trimmer line I use (Desert Extrusion) - is virgin nylon 6. No fillers.

At one point, I believe Taulman used desert extrusion (in arizona) for some production.

Either way, no wear on a brass nozzle from it.

The metal-fill filaments (bronzefill, brass fill, copperfill, SS PLA, Fe PLA, tungsten ABS, bismuth ABS, etc), and the carbon fiber filaments will wear through brass nozzles. The CF will absolutely annihilate them. I've also seen reports of some glow-in-the-dark filaments having abrasion issues with brass.

If you do switch to an SS nozzle, keep in mind your extrusion temperatures may need to get adjusted. SS has a much lower K value than brass (about 1/10th the thermal conductivity), so you may need to bump up temps if you notice extrusion issues.

Also, FWIW, "pure nylon" isn't a super useful term. It's "pure" in that it has no fiber fillers or other potentially abrasive additives, but "Nylon" is a large group of polymers. Some are homopolymers - that is, a polymer that consists of a single type of monomer. Others are copolymers - which are polymers that are made of up of more than 1 type of monomer.
Fellow Philosophy majors unite!

"The proverbial achilles heel of property monistic epiphenomenalism is the apparent impossibility of ex-nihilo materialization of non-structural and qualitatively new causal powers."
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

Thank for your inputs guys, that gives me peace of mind, I don't like swapping nozzles.
But I will not be getting the filament any time soon. Since today, the only supplier of black nylon is closed for holidays :(
Martín S.
davidshelton
Noob

Post by davidshelton »

I am new to nylon 3D printing and have learned a lot from the last few weeks. I am trying to get a 3D printer for my small business and I have received few recommendations about the Prusa 3D printers and looking for some solid reviews? Is there any good printer that you can recommend? I read some of the 3D printing-related articles at https://printerdeets.com and feel like there are many factors that I need to consider before buying my 3D printer.

Please share your experiences!
Cheers
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

sus post is sus.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”