Plug and USB strain relief.

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
Flavored Coffee
Printmaster!

Plug and USB strain relief.

Post by Flavored Coffee »

Hello,

I've worked with many home computers and there are times I can't fix it. For one, the USB cable get's yanked being hooked to a keyboard, and cracks the motherboard. Strain reliefs are not shown or used in the construction of the Rostock MAX V2. Don't know about the rest, I don't own anything else.

Just make a loop, like you see here, and you can save the back of your power supply, and USB to Rambo connection. Something simple and stupid could happen, and you just forget it's connected to the computer, and yank, it's broken.
IMG_20140818_181219_954.jpg
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Re: Plug and USB strain relief.

Post by Captain Starfish »

Interesting. I looked at it briefly when I put my V1 together and the ONLY way the cable could go was straight out, by virtue of the path from the edge of the case to the socket. Pretty happy that, no matter which way I yank it, the cable will simply pull loose. And I can disconnect it if I want.

Still, this isn't a bad approach if you want the lead to stay with the printer and if the routing in the V2 is different to the V1. So: thankyou!
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I got used to opening the door on a V1 to unplug the USB cable for transport. I miss that convenience on my V2, and don't really like how the cable is captive.

I just ordered one of these and will be installing it when it arrives. Looking forward to having a disconnect again.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product/28070" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Well... The 6" is not cable length, it's overall length (connectors and all) and is too short to reach anything useful in my machine.... I'll donate that whip to another project and try again with the 1' cable :)

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”