How-to: Dimensional Accuracy Calibration for Delta Printers

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
dc42
Printmaster!

Re: How-to: Dimensional Accuracy Calibration for Delta Printers

Post by dc42 »

Float glass is usually very flat, but when I had 3 bed plates cut for me from 4mm glass, one of them turned out to be warped. So it's best to check the glass for flatness against a straight edge.
Harblar
Printmaster!

Post by Harblar »

I got my Gecko Tek plate and after getting used to a few things I'm loving it. It didn't want to stick PLA as nice as tape on glass with no heat and I was getting some warping. It got worse at around 40-45 degrees, but has been bullet proof at 60-65 degrees. Only thing I don't like is that occasional software wonkieness has caused some print head crashes that have gouged the plate in a few spots. :-/

As for accuracy, I think I've got it nailed as well as I possibly can. I printed a part that was designed to hold a neopixel pcb and it fits perfect! couldn't hardly have milled it any better. I think a lot of my early problems had to do more with material shrinkage than anything else. I've also just decided to accept the fact that .3mm is my best case minimum first layer height (with a .4mm nozzle). After multiple calibrations I simply can't get my bed error below .2mm deviation on average. At a .3mm first layer my measured heights vary +/- .05mm ( on a large print). I'f I go below that height on the first layer I start getting thin spots, filament starvation, and/or extruder clicking. Even with a .25mm nozzle I have to have it at least .25mm on the first layer. Subsequent layers at .05mm layer height, however, print great! I've printed quite a few parts in the last month or so and just about every bit of weirdness I've been thinking were due to calibration and/or physical setup, I've managed to correct via slicer settings. Things are looking good and I've pretty much got all the parts I need to put together the Dome for a full scale BB-8 droid.

Next I'm going to start printing parts to build a second printer (TAZ 6) from scratch. :-)
Francisco
Prints-a-lot

Post by Francisco »

Hi guys.
I've found out that my printer's scaling error is 0.99. My current arm length is 298.24 so I need to change it to 295.26.
If I change this value on my Rostock Max v3: what calibration method should I do after? What if I dont do it?
I'm a bit lost with the whole calibration after changing arm length.
FranciscoJS12 | Rostock Max v3
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

After you change your arm length, do the calibration again to make sure it worked right.

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”