wear resistant nozzles and Glow filament

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
ken cummings
Prints-a-lot

wear resistant nozzles and Glow filament

Post by ken cummings »

I'd like to do a lot more glow filament printing. Are there any wear resistant nozzles, anything from plated brass to tungsten allow nozzles that can be swapped into an Orion printer? Is anyone having problems with the strontium Aluminide loaded filament produced by Prototype supply as sold by Toy Builder Labs? If ProtoType isn't making it anymore is anyone else making this higher power stuff?
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Re: wear resistant nozzles and Glow filament

Post by IMBoring25 »

The E3D hot ends have hardened steel hot ends available for extreme wear resistance and stainless ones for more wear resistance than brass and low contamination.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Does glow in the dark filament wear the nozzles fastjer?

I thought it was the more abrasive ones like carbon fiber ones.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

Glow filament is reported to be more abrasive, yes.
marcom
Prints-a-lot

Post by marcom »

Couple of references:

http://www.thenerdmachine.com/3d-printi ... ur-nozzle/
https://twitter.com/josefprusa/status/7 ... 3002813440

So, yes it is more abrasive. The E3D has a hardened nozzle option but don't think there is one for the stock Seemecnc hot end. Would be nice tho.
Rostock MAX v2, Prusa i3, Makerfarm Pegasus
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

I was thinking of turning one up on my Shaublin lathe from Phosphor_bronze https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphor_bronze
it should be a little better for heat transfer than the Stainless steel options on offer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryllium_copper
would be best but I don't have any on hand and it a PITA to machine in mt home machine shop with its hazmat problems while being machined
it is such an obvious material to try i expect lots of the real experts here with industrial shop access have already tried it perhaps they could say how it worked out?
Andre B
Plasticator

Post by Andre B »

And people freak out over the little bit of lead in brass.
I would look into something like C63000 nickel aluminum bronze.
One thing that would need to be researched is how the properties of these copper alloys change at the temps we are using them at.
But I think if the design is done right the lower conductivity of steel and stainless should not be a problem.
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

good idea about the Aluminum bronze I will add to the list if do the experiment.

I machine lead all the time (and I have been melting down lead scrap and casting things from it for about 60 years (do so only in a very well ventilated workspace) first for toy solders and then for the last 58 years bullets of various sizes and design (when i workup a new design of bullet i turn the first experiments out of lead and then if the design works well I machine the mould blocks from durbar so i can cast them in large numbers. this winter for example i cast over 2500 .45 260 grain (7000 grains to a pound so yes that is more than 90 lbs of lead) slugs to shoot in my hobby sport of cowboy action shooting http://www.sassnet.com/index.php

I also work on repairing antique mercury barometers (when i was young a trip to the dentist meant getting a little bit of mercury to play with... we used to rub it into pennies to make them look like dimes.
When a local school broke a mercury barometer in the chem lab the whole school was shut down for hazmat company to remove the "extremely hazardous liquid" I rescued the parts of the very nice lab standard barometer repaired it with a new glass tube and refilled from a carboy of mercury that i keep for just this event... sold it for a vey tidy sum.

(by the time i was 11 i was using my good patient reward from the dentist to make my own fulminate of mercury so i could make my own cap gun caps (that were much louder than standard ones from the shop)
Beryllium dust control is not something i am set up for in my shop and its not worth the risk of getting the dust allergy breathing problems that finishing a part made of Beryllium-copper can cause
ken cummings
Prints-a-lot

Post by ken cummings »

I noodled around on Google for a common description of the hardness of this material. Strontium Aluminate gets as hard a silica sand, Mohs' Scale 7. Might as well put sand through your machine. I read that someone in Europe is working on a tungsten-Nickle alloy that conducts heat as well as brass. Now to look up finely ground carbon fiber. Printing will have to wait until I resolve why my MatterControl Touch has locked up.

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”