Optimum layer height vs Nozzle size

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
DerStig
Printmaster!

Optimum layer height vs Nozzle size

Post by DerStig »

I guessing there is a optimum Nozzle size to layer height vs steps per mm ratio. So how do we figure out?
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Optimum layer height vs Nozzle size

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I'm not sure how steps per mm relates to the equation, but nozzle diameter and layer height are definitely related. You can go as thin as you want, but I wouldn't go thicker than about 75% of your nozzle diameter for layer height. You can, but you'll end up with deeper ridges between your layers.

I've always been happy with .2mm layers and a .4 or .5mm nozzle, but if I'm in a hurry a .3mm layer turns out pretty ok. Much higher than that, and you really should switch to a larger nozzle and increase everything.
DerStig
Printmaster!

Post by DerStig »

I'm wondering if there is a micro step/extrapolated layer height that is less desirable than say for lack of a better term prime height. Should all heights be divisible by our steeps per mm so as to be "native"?
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

You're not thinking fourth dimensionally :)

Every straight line move on a delta machine is a triangulation of all 3 motors moving at the same time. It's more complicated than just microstepping the Z up, it's a function of all 3 motors' positions, and the positional resolution of the hotend varies from the center to the perimeter.

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”