Duet and 24v psu question

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
buggy
Printmaster!

Duet and 24v psu question

Post by buggy »

Hey guys now that i got my max v2 dialed in with my duet wifi, I wanted to tackle the slow bed heating due to the 12v psu. I was reading that the duet wifi is capable of both 12v and 24v so is it just as simple of swapping out the 12v psu for a 24v psu? I know with the rambo you had to use a ssr to step down the voltage for everything else but is that handled by the duet already? I would rather ask now than chancing burning up my board lol also is there a 24v psu that you guys would recommend? Thanks, Dan
dc42
Printmaster!

Re: Duet and 24v psu question

Post by dc42 »

Bear in mind that a 24V PSU will produce four times the heating power of a 12V PSU. So if you do want to use a 24V PSU then I suggest you turn down the voltage on it as low as possible, which will probably be about 20V. Alternatively, use a 12V PSU turned up to its maximum - typically about 14V, which produces 36% more heating power.

If you change to 24V then you will need to change your extruder heater cartridge for a 24V one. Also, if you are using 12V fans then you will need to change them to 24V ones. It's possible to use a buck converter to generate 12V for the fans, but 24V fans are cheap so it's simpler to replace them.

HTH David
buggy
Printmaster!

Re: Duet and 24v psu question

Post by buggy »

Awesome that makes a lot of sense, wasnt sure how the board handled the voltage. Thanks for the fast response! Dan.

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”