Moving or Transporting your printer

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
BONE
Printmaster!

Moving or Transporting your printer

Post by BONE »

I'm taking my MAX v2 to the local print club for them to check out. What's the best way to move the Delta? I have a 2 door Hatchback and a Jeep just for the week. I plan on using the Jeep tomorrow to transport it, but I will have to use the hatchback the others times to move it.

Thoughts?
The BONE ZONE build thread.
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Re: Moving or Transporting your printer

Post by lightninjay »

My first suggestion would be to move the arms into the downward position so your carriage doesn't get messed with too much.

From what I've heard some of the members on the forum say, the max v2 is pretty durable in that they place it horizontally in the back seat of their car to transport it, just don't drive like a maniac.

I would mostly suggest, treat your Rostock max v2 with the same sort of precautions you would use on an infant, and that will DEFINITELY ensure that your printer will remain in better than good condition.
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing something wrong. Try again, and if it fails again, try once more. Through trial and error, one can be the first to accomplish something great.
Brian
Printmaster!

Post by Brian »

I put the arms inverted line that and some rubber bands to hold the cheapskates down against the base. If you drive carefully and avoid sudden braking, or turning, or acceleration, it will be fine and will not even lose calibration.
BONE
Printmaster!

Post by BONE »

I was thinking about inverting the arms. I like the rubber bands to keep the cheapskates from bouncing and moving.

Do you guys buckle into a seat or use straps to hold in place? I dont drive like a manic, and plan on driving extra careful with the printer in the car.
Brian
Printmaster!

Post by Brian »

I have an SUV, so it fits on the floor with the rear seat pushed up and it is so close to the center of gravity of the car, it doesn't tip or sway. The footwell holds it from sliding in any direction, so I never had to consider strapping it in.
BONE
Printmaster!

Post by BONE »

I have more options in the Jeep, but in the hatchback, it might be to tall. Might have to lay it on it's side.

This thing needs some transport hooks. :lol:
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

When I took mine to work the other day it was the first time it had been moved since I built it, so not too sure how effective.

But I put the hot-end to one side of the bed (arm at that tower vertical, the others almost horizontal), chucked it in the back of the 4wd, left a bag against it so it didn't topple and drove. No worries.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I've moved mine dozens of times. It just lays flat on the back seat. My seat is angled in a way that makes straps and the like unnecessary. I always try to lift the weight of the machine from the base (like if it were sitting on a table like normal) and just keep it from tipping with my other hand. The annoying part is that you have to juggle both cords and the spool on top when you lay it sideways, better to take those off if you can. Also, make sure that you lay it flat with the LCD pointing up. It does protrude a touch more than the V1 used to, and you don't want to jam your LCD face down on the seat.

You won't damage it or anything, but you might bump your adjustments a touch. Get used to running a leveling script and having a piece of paper around to check your leveling screws when you set her back up.
BONE
Printmaster!

Post by BONE »

I have it in laying down in the back seat on its side. Put a safety tether on it and the head rests just in case. Seems to have rode well.
frminio
Prints-a-lot

Post by frminio »

The box I made for my V2 is far too robust and heavy :) but it worked

chipboard sheet: 4 panels
vertical beams: pine wood
screws: q.ty 48 4x20; q.ty 10 4x45; q.ty 20 4x75
glue

Material cost = 150 €
Construction time = 8 hours
Weight = 18 Kg

drawings notes: dots are indicating screws positions, dimensions are in inches/mm
Attachments
Shipping Box.pdf
(157.5 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
IMG_7187.jpeg
IMG_7186.jpeg
IMG_7184.jpeg
IMG_6618.jpeg
IMG_6601.jpeg

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”