Printing effector plates

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Printing effector plates

Post by DeltaCon »

Lots of folks seem te be printing their own effector plates. Mostly in ABS I guess. That's something I would like to explore, but I am a bit concerned that the ABS material characteristics are not optimal for exact positioning of the print head, especially at higher speeds, because it is a rather soft material. Of course PLA is not heat resistant enough. Is my concern unnecessary? Does it make sense to use PC or PET instead?
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
JFettig
Printmaster!

Re: Printing effector plates

Post by JFettig »

I have used ABS with pretty decent success. Don't try Nylon, its not stiff enough. I printed one from 910 and it was not good. If I was to do it again, I'd use PET or PETG.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I have printed quite a few effectors from Mini Kossel size up to Rostock Max size in PLA with no problems whatsoever. It all depends on how and where you mount your hotend. In my case, the heater block is at least 1.5" below the effector so it is no where close to the PLA. If you have the heater block right inside the Rostock Max effector's "circle", you probably would have problems. PLA is perfectly fine for this application and is nice and stiff.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I forgot to mention, ProtoPasta introduced a very interesting High Temperature Resistant Annealable CF PLA Composite in January. It prints beautifully and has much better temperature resistance than ABS and PET. It looks really high tech cool too. I haven't tried annealing any parts but it looks easy enough. I think this would be the go-to filament for effectors.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Thanks, CF PLA Composite looks very promising. I have my E3Dv6 mounted conventionally above the effector, and am very interested in Jim's effector with integrated layer cooling. But I am not sure jet, Perhaps I wil try to make a custom bird air first to see how that works out. So much to choose from :roll:
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I've put hundreds of hours on the ducted effector platform, and it's worked great. I've even printed nylon up at 265C with it. No ill effects to report.
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

Jimustanguitar wrote:I've put hundreds of hours on the ducted effector platform, and it's worked great. I've even printed nylon up at 265C with it. No ill effects to report.
Hi Jim, with what material did you make your effector platform?
Martín S.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

ABS has been working just fine.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Where can I find an STL of the Rostock Max Effector that works with the stock and Trick laser arms. Also a good one for magnetic arms if someone knows of one.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

Jimustanguitar wrote:I've put hundreds of hours on the ducted effector platform, and it's worked great. I've even printed nylon up at 265C with it. No ill effects to report.
Same here with Jim's ducted effector printed from ABS, doesn't seem to be an issue at all.

gary

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”