Has anyone written up a guide to DEF?

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
TruckerGeek
Prints-a-lot

Has anyone written up a guide to DEF?

Post by TruckerGeek »

I, like many people, have been suffering from the dreaded "DEF" temperature display.

Initially, it was problems with the temperature of my printer (cold Michigan winter days), or problems with the cable coming lose from the hotend. I built an enclosure and printed out the whipclip.

However, I am now experiencing more frequent issues when I print longer jobs (something more than a simple test). The hotend and bed will turn off heat with the dreaded "DEF" for the temperature display, but will not tell the printer show it continues for hours attempting to print even after the printer will no longer extrude.

I have seen many posts here and on Facebook. However, I have not seen all of the troubleshooting suggestions put together. Has someone already done this and put together a troubleshooting guide to "DEF"?

If so, I would love to have the link. Otherwise, I will need to spend a couple of hours compiling something. I figure I probably have a couple of hours going through trying to figure out what is wrong.

I wish someone would have told me how problematic 3D printing was before I purchased my printer. :D

Thanks for any and all the help everyone provides!!
SeeMeCNC Rostock MAX V2 (w/HE280), Raspberry PIs and Arduinos
A licensed truck driver (CDL), former US Air Force Firefighter and high end computer geek
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Has anyone written up a guide to DEF?

Post by Mac The Knife »

TruckerGeek wrote:
I wish someone would have told me how problematic 3D printing was before I purchased my printer. :D

Thanks for any and all the help everyone provides!!
You probably wouldn't have listened to them, just like the rest of us! :)
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
RichWP
Prints-a-lot

Post by RichWP »

I experienced the DEF error by tightening the Thermistor wires down too tightly and pinching the wires between the washer and the heat block. Not sure if you already checked for this, but it could explain why your problems occur with longer jobs (with heat expansion in the mix).
TruckerGeek
Prints-a-lot

Post by TruckerGeek »

Mac The Knife wrote:You probably wouldn't have listened to them, just like the rest of us! :)
Sadly, you are almost certainly right. Ok, not almost, you are 100% correct!
SeeMeCNC Rostock MAX V2 (w/HE280), Raspberry PIs and Arduinos
A licensed truck driver (CDL), former US Air Force Firefighter and high end computer geek

Return to “Troubleshooting”