SE300 / V3.2 100% Fan shutdown ideas?

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
hebbster
Plasticator

SE300 / V3.2 100% Fan shutdown ideas?

Post by hebbster »

Looking for some ideas on why when the tool fan/fan 0 goes to 100% causes the nozzle temp to drop off until there's a heater fault and the unit shuts off. Set tool fan for 50% (or anywhere around there) and no problem.

Considered it could be a voltage problem, but Vin on the Duet control screen is at 12.5v (although drops to 12.2 when running) which seems like enough? Of course that's the voltage at the duet board, not at the SE300. Did try to make sure the connectors are seated well also, doesn't seem to change anything. Currently running tool fan at 50% (when running) and prints fine.

For the record also currently troubleshooting a 'barking extruder' problem(hah, love the term), but this problem precedes that issue by months. Also this is a Rostock V3 upgraded to V3.2 several years ago if that suggests any other ideas.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: SE300 / V3.2 100% Fan shutdown ideas?

Post by geneb »

I would check the connectors at the power supply end - there might be a loose connection at the hot end wires.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
thwfwa
Plasticator

Post by thwfwa »

Hebbster,

You found the source of a problem that I have been fighting since late last summer. My RostockMax V3.2 with a SE300 hotend had been faulting on out of temp range at random intervals. I tried replacing the entire hotend, firmware, config file, and ran a temp tuning routine that Steve sent me. It fluctuated a lot, but I could never get it dialed in to be consistent.

After reading your post, I watched the temp and fan settings and by going to 42% fan speed now have a variation in temp of under 0.5°. I'm going to try more prints today to verify that eliminates the fault.

I suspect that that my power supply may be set above spec or that the fans that SeeMeCNC are now using may put out more airflow than previous fans. I don't have time to verify the power right now, but will let you know what I find when I can get to it.

thwfwa
thwfwa
Plasticator

Post by thwfwa »

After changing the fan speed setting in Cura to 42%, I have run over 30 hours of printing with no faults. So thanks to Hebbster for locating the cause.

I'm not into software much anymore, but I suspect that the temperature tuning routine isn't adequately compensating for fan speed. While running it I saw a considerable sine wave generated that spanned up to 12° degrees. By manually setting the fan speed to 42% in my case, the variation was observed to be less than 0.7° and typically less than 0.4°.

thwfwa

Return to “Troubleshooting”