lightning..

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
bauf
Printmaster!

lightning..

Post by bauf »

So yesterday my house got struck by lightning and destroyed my internet modem..but i also think it affected my Rmax2.. well,it works..but when it does a curved og circular movement,it jitters.. and it leaves a weird trace after it.. i'm in the middle,or it should be done now, of a 3h16m print..and it says it's @70% done..
I figured this print would take longer than estimated because when it jitters,it also moves a little bit slower.. i'll see if i can record and upload a clip and also a picture of the print when its done.
http://youtu.be/R1TKtnzj0sY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bauf
Printmaster!

Re: lightning..

Post by bauf »

So weird, i can print straight lines with no problem,everything sounds like it did before..but as soon as there's a curve, it starts to do jittery movements and it sounds weird..
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

are you using cura for the slicer?
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
bauf
Printmaster!

Post by bauf »

Yup, i always use cura.
bauf
Printmaster!

Post by bauf »

I also had the printer connected via usb,and now the pc can't find it.
Im trying repetier host now..everything was looking good when it did the brim,but as soon as it started on the actual print,it started to jitter alot..
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

I dont think its caused by the lighning strike. I have noticed that if I decrease the flow using the lcd I get those type of jitters too. Also those lead in lead out marks are a cura bug IMHO. Still having the same trouble in repetier?
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
bauf
Printmaster!

Post by bauf »

Yup, same with rep.host. And i use the exact same program/settings as i've always used. Worked fine all yesterday. I tried to print a circle to test. So it made a brim first..it printed it perfect,but the second it started on the actual print,it started jittering..
But yes,would be weird if this was caused by lightning. But it's the only thing i can think of.
bauf
Printmaster!

Post by bauf »

This is sliced with rep.host
http://youtu.be/Uz-4oWAPSSo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian79
Printmaster!

Post by Christian79 »

I experienced a similar problem when my computer could not keep the printers buffer full and the jerks coincided with the buffer depleting to zero and then filling again.
There is no reason why this should be happening to you though as a result of lightening.
Try printing from an SD card and let us know if the problem persists.
bauf
Printmaster!

Post by bauf »

I've always printed from the sd card :p
I only use the usb connection for tuning the z height
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Could you have semi-fried your sd card?
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
bauf
Printmaster!

Post by bauf »

Just tried another sd card. Same thing :(
Guess i could try to reset the RAMBo and see if that makes any difference
bauf
Printmaster!

Post by bauf »

So i was gonna re-flash it today,but i can't get it connected to the usb anymore. I have tried all the usb ports on the pc and several usb cables,but nothing shows up on device manager.. so something must have happened to the RAMBo..
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

The Rostock Max is imbued with a human soul which makes it susceptible to interference from lightning strikes. They tear the fabric between our world and the nether (where the soul was harvested from) and what you're hearing is a 'seeping' of the soul back to the nether as it attempts to plot the curves since curves put extra strain on the nether fabric.
Unfortunately you'll need to either patch up the fabric or swap the whole soul subsystem for a new one :(

I read that in the manual.
I loved my Rostock so much I now sell them in Oz :)
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

McSlappy wrote:The Rostock Max is imbued with a human soul which makes it susceptible to interference from lightning strikes. They tear the fabric between our world and the nether (where the soul was harvested from) and what you're hearing is a 'seeping' of the soul back to the nether as it attempts to plot the curves since curves put extra strain on the nether fabric.
Unfortunately you'll need to either patch up the fabric or swap the whole soul subsystem for a new one :(

I read that in the manual.
You weren't drinking some sort of flavoured coffee at the time you were reading the manual, were you?
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
bauf
Printmaster!

Post by bauf »

Lol.... must have skipped that part of the manual :roll:
Btw...had a breakthrough today, i had disconnected the usb cable and swapped the fuses around..and the jittering was gone.
I first thought it was because of the fuses,but found out that it actually was the usb cable that was causing the jittery movements.
So i tested it while it was printing, it was printing normal as usual,then i plugged in the usb and it went bananas,jittery as hell,so i pulled the cable out again,then all was good... pretty weird. Anyways,i think i need a new RAMBo,since i cant get it connected via usb anymore.
Christian79
Printmaster!

Post by Christian79 »

Try a new USB cable and then if that does not work try a new port on your computer.
bauf
Printmaster!

Post by bauf »

Have tried 2 usb cables and all the ports. Still the same
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

I am not in front of my computer now.

But i vaguely remember being able to save the EEPROM to the flash card , edit it and then re-upload it.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

I am not sure again, but if the rambo has an ICSP header then you could program it that way as well.
bauf
Printmaster!

Post by bauf »

So today i finally got my replacement RAMBo. So when i took out the old board, i noticed this little broken part to the left of the usb port. Can this be the thing that messed up my usb connection?
And btw, i just got the printer up and running, but i'm not sure if i need to calibrate the PID's again?
Attachments
20141206_193915.jpg
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

Yeah, that part probably isn't the cause of your issues but its failure suggests that the board has taken a respectable wallop and all bets are off regarding other bits being burnt out or not.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

bauf wrote:Lol.... must have skipped that part of the manual :roll:
Btw...had a breakthrough today, i had disconnected the usb cable and swapped the fuses around..and the jittering was gone.
I first thought it was because of the fuses,but found out that it actually was the usb cable that was causing the jittery movements.
So i tested it while it was printing, it was printing normal as usual,then i plugged in the usb and it went bananas,jittery as hell,so i pulled the cable out again,then all was good... pretty weird. Anyways,i think i need a new RAMBo,since i cant get it connected via usb anymore.
I would try a new usb cable before declaring the Rambo is bad.
bauf
Printmaster!

Post by bauf »

the rambo is definitely bad. i have tried 2 different computers on it, 4 usb cables, ALL usb ports. As soon as i changed out the board to a new one, everything worked.
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Post by lightninjay »

That appears to be a Schottky diode for the OUT2A pin for your Z stepper motor driver. This could be the source of your jitters, and could further be confirmed that the jitters occur primarily on the Z tower in comparison to smoother motions on the X and Y.

If this is the case, replacing this one diode may fix your Rambo.
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing something wrong. Try again, and if it fails again, try once more. Through trial and error, one can be the first to accomplish something great.

Return to “Troubleshooting”