Curling on the left.

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Ziggey
Printmaster!

Curling on the left.

Post by Ziggey »

Hello,

So it looks like I'm in need of some help. I have read form after form to try and fix this issue, but I'm not sure what to do... I have re-calibrated the system multiple times. I bought feeler gauges. My arms and center bed calibration are .008 mm from then bed they are all at that tolerance. My problem is that my print gets about 30-60 min in and then it always starts curling towards the left side (x axis) it doesn't matter how big the print is. The particular print that I am trying to make is as shown below. I'm not sure why it doesn't work. I have been printing for about a two weeks. I have only noticed this in the past 2-3 days. I'm not sure why it is happening now. I have posted the picture below to show what I'm printing and I put a dogtag that was made next to it so you could see a size comparison. The oval print takes about 4 hours about 2 and a half hours in the warp starts to mess up the print. For photo 1 & 2 I tried to zoom in so you could see the first layer print. I'm not sure if that will give you any clues as to how/why this would happen.

Thank you for any help,
Ziggey
Attachments
photo 3.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG
Earthbound
Printmaster!

Re: Curling on the left.

Post by Earthbound »

You haven't said what material, extrusion temp, bed temp, and adhesion method you are using. All will be important to know for helping solve this. In the meantime...

Is the curling side toward a window or door in the room? Possibly uneven cooling stress.

Can see you are using Matter Control. Slow down the infill speed by 1/3. Could be high shrinkage/curling from infill printing too fast.

Try KISSlicer with rounded infill.
"Trust no quote from the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Ziggey
Printmaster!

Post by Ziggey »

Ah yess sorry. Curious kid love the computer almost as much as me... not to mention the printer.... I'm printing in ABS, bed tem 80 degrees hotend 220 I will be ordering PEI tonight or tomorrow, so for now i'm using purple glue... I will try the slicer. on my next attempt.

Thank you,
Ziggey
Earthbound
Printmaster!

Post by Earthbound »

I have had some luck printing ABS on kapton tape at 80-90C, but for the purple glue I need 90C or more to get decent adhesion. I'll usually set for 95-100. I haven't tried PEI myself, but it's on the to-do list. The hot end temp is also on the low end of what I would expect for ABS. You might try upping it 5C for the first couple of layers to help it bite onto the glue.
"Trust no quote from the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Ziggey
Printmaster!

Post by Ziggey »

Ok I will try bumping up the temp. I have not changed it at all thats just what it heats up to when I plug in the sd card and print. Thank you very much
CRPerryJr
Printmaster!

Post by CRPerryJr »

Hi Ziggey

I was running the same temps as you last week when I first started 3d printing with my Rostock Max V2, and experienced the same issues. For ABS, I'm currently running 95c on the bed, and 230c on the extruder using purple glue sticks and I haven't had any curling on pieces up to 240mm wide. :)
SeeMeCNC Rostock Max V2
Makerbot Replicator Gen 5
Ziggey
Printmaster!

Post by Ziggey »

Hmm that is interesting I thought I had the problem solved last night so I set up a peace that is about 7 inches long about fairly slim, regardless to say after I got back from work my part was on the floor and a pile of plastic string was on my printer. I was running the bed at 98 and the hotend 335.. So no dice. I think I'm going to try and do a print or two to enclose my printer I have seen some nice prints that hold plastic sheets so keep the wind and stuff out( not that I have a lot of that). I should also be getting my PEI sheet on Friday so I'm hoping that will cure the problem if nothing else does. I will trying my oval print again though maybe my other print was to long and narrow?
I'm sure I will get it working eventually. All good things take time.

Ziggey
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

What I have found that is pretty reliable is 95 bed temp and 235 hotend. I use four cross-hatched layers of purple glue stick. the key is that it has to be fresh. If I printed the day before, I will add an additional two layers of fresh glue stick. Whenever I fail to add fresh glue stick, I have curling issues.
Printmaster!

Post by Khalid Khattak »

Do u know how i avoid curling. Once first layer happen (Brim) on the purple glue stick at 100C bed temperature 235C hotend for ABS, i used superglue drops at different location/edges of brim. It very easily removed after print as it adhere to purple glue stick only. Try it and you will always do.
Ziggey
Printmaster!

Post by Ziggey »

I was actually thinking about that but I was not sure what affect that would have... ( I didn't want it to stick to the glass.) I will try it today, I have a few hours before work so if it starts to fail like last time I will be able to stop it. Thank you for the suggestion. I will try this until my PEI comes in. Also has anyone noticed if inclosing the printer with plastic walls has helped peeling??
Thank you all again for the help.
Zig
Ziggey
Printmaster!

Post by Ziggey »

I figured out the problem. The nut that holds the extruder on cam loose causing my calibrations to be off. This is the nut that is right below the brass fitting that the bowden tubing goes into and right about the extruder spacer (just to be clear). Also I tried the super glue idea, its not horrible and it did help some but I still had warping. Also when you clean the glue off your glass plate some stuck to the plate(this might have been due to older glue... If that matters?? not sure.) But I tried a few test prints and it seems to be working wells.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
ZIggey

Return to “Troubleshooting”