Stepper Motors Disabled

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
PJJ
Prints-a-lot

Stepper Motors Disabled

Post by PJJ »

I am trying to figure out the issues i am having with my 3d printer. The stepper motors are saying they are saying disabled on the lcd screen, i was wondering if anyone knows how to enable them. i cant get the arms to move because they are saying disabled. has anyone have this issue before
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Re: Stepper Motors Disabled

Post by BenTheRighteous »

Does issuing a "home towers" command fix the problem?
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
PJJ
Prints-a-lot

Post by PJJ »

BenTheRighteous wrote:Does issuing a "home towers" command fix the problem?

I try to home them using matter control and the LCD display but it stills say it is disabled and inactive. I still cant get the arms to move.
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

Have the arms moved ever, or is this a newly built printer? Max or Orion?
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
PJJ
Prints-a-lot

Post by PJJ »

BenTheRighteous wrote:Have the arms moved ever, or is this a newly built printer? Max or Orion?

this is a newly built printer. It is a Max. I have been trying to just configure the machine so i can make the first print
Earthbound
Printmaster!

Post by Earthbound »

AFAIK

"Steppers Disabled" is not an error message. It is just information. After certain events the firmware will shut off the steppers. When the steppers are disabled, you can move the cheapskates by hand. There is no "enable steppers" action in the Repetier menu. No action is required to re-enable them. They should respond to a move command.

If you've gotten as far as beginning to play with Matter Control, then you must have already run axis direction check and limit switch tests, right? So that would tell us that the motors have actually run at some point already.
"Trust no quote from the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

Right, you shouldn't have to manually enable the steppers. If it's ignoring a move command you may have a wiring issue with the motors. I've never done it so I'm not sure if the symptom would be the same if you have the endstops wired with reversed logic.
PJJ
Prints-a-lot

Post by PJJ »

Earthbound wrote:AFAIK

"Steppers Disabled" is not an error message. It is just information. After certain events the firmware will shut off the steppers. When the steppers are disabled, you can move the cheapskates by hand. There is no "enable steppers" action in the Repetier menu. No action is required to re-enable them. They should respond to a move command.

If you've gotten as far as beginning to play with Matter Control, then you must have already run axis direction check and limit switch tests, right? So that would tell us that the motors have actually run at some point already.
ok thanks yes i have got far with starting to play with matter control however i tried to run axis direction and run test but the motors never turned on and the arms have never moved. I was beginning to calibrate them because i have the kysan stepper motors. When i changed the range from "175" to "155" the arms still did not move even if I turned them back to "175"
PJJ
Prints-a-lot

Post by PJJ »

IMBoring25 wrote:Right, you shouldn't have to manually enable the steppers. If it's ignoring a move command you may have a wiring issue with the motors. I've never done it so I'm not sure if the symptom would be the same if you have the endstops wired with reversed logic.
is it a way to fix the wires in the stepper motor because they came already installed and all i had to do was plug them into the rambo
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

Are you certain you've managed to connect in matter control?
It is unlikely all the motors are bad.
Have you tried homing from the LCD screen?
PJJ
Prints-a-lot

Post by PJJ »

Polygonhell wrote:Are you certain you've managed to connect in matter control?
It is unlikely all the motors are bad.
Have you tried homing from the LCD screen?
yes i am certain it was connected to the matter control because i was able to turn on the heated bed and hotend from mattercontrol. I tried to home the machine from the LCD however no luck. I emailed the seemecnc and they told me to swap the F2 and F3 inputs and see if that would help but that didnt help either and now the whole board wont come on now
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

It's possible fuse F2 is dead on the Rambo board, you can check it with a meter. It would cut all power to the motors.
PJJ
Prints-a-lot

Post by PJJ »

Polygonhell wrote:It's possible fuse F2 is dead on the Rambo board, you can check it with a meter. It would cut all power to the motors.

ok that makes sense but im just curious why seemecnc support would tell me to swap the f2 and f3 fuses. before i swapped them the board worked fine, i could get the heating bed and the hot end to its correct temperatures. the minute i swapped them now the board wont turn on. anyways is it possible to replace the fuse or i would have to buy an entire new rambo board.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

Support is just trying to establish if the fuse is dead without you having a meter. If F2 is dead, and you swap it with F3, then the board will be dead, since F3 is the fuse for the heater and the logic if I remember correctly.

Yes they are replaceable parts, part numbers are posted in several threads, and I'm sure support can send you one.
PJJ
Prints-a-lot

Post by PJJ »

Polygonhell wrote:Support is just trying to establish if the fuse is dead without you having a meter. If F2 is dead, and you swap it with F3, then the board will be dead, since F3 is the fuse for the heater and the logic if I remember correctly.

Yes they are replaceable parts, part numbers are posted in several threads, and I'm sure support can send you one.

ok thanks
PJJ
Prints-a-lot

Post by PJJ »

PJJ wrote:
Polygonhell wrote:Support is just trying to establish if the fuse is dead without you having a meter. If F2 is dead, and you swap it with F3, then the board will be dead, since F3 is the fuse for the heater and the logic if I remember correctly.

ok thanks

ok so i just got my new fuses today and put them into the rambo board. I had minor success in getting the board to turn on as well as the hot end and bed. However I am still having the issue of getting the arms to move along withthe extruder stepper motor too . I'm really confused....is it possible that all four of my motors are bad. that will be strange if that can be the issue
Earthbound
Printmaster!

Post by Earthbound »

Is your RAMBo cooling fan running?
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Check your fuses again.

You may have blown one again. Which sounds bad but actually is a good thing. Because it is either the fuse or an expensive component that will probably be very difficult to solder.

If it has blown you have a short somewhere.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Can you please post a picture of your RAMBo, End-stop switches, and the hotend?

Also since you haven't printed anything, check the dangling wires for the layer fan. Make sure those are not touching each-other or anything for that matter.
PJJ
Prints-a-lot

Post by PJJ »

Earthbound wrote:Is your RAMBo cooling fan running?

actually the fan in the back of the rambo is not working either now that i think about it
PJJ
Prints-a-lot

Post by PJJ »

teoman wrote:Check your fuses again.

You may have blown one again. Which sounds bad but actually is a good thing. Because it is either the fuse or an expensive component that will probably be very difficult to solder.

If it has blown you have a short somewhere.
ok ill check the fuse again. would it be the fuse even though the rambo turn on and displays everything
Earthbound
Printmaster!

Post by Earthbound »

RAMBo fuses and what they feed:
(at least, for v1.2 boards and probably true for earlier versions)

Fuse F4 (the big automotive type blade fuse) powers the heated bed.

Fuse F3 (the nanofuse closest to F4) powers the electronics, layer/PEEK fans and the nozzle heater. The LCD backlight is a good indicator for the condition of F3. This fuse is often blown by working on the hot end while the machine is powered on.

Fuse F2 (the nanofuse closest to the edge of the board) powers the stepper motors (axis and EZstruder). If everything else seems normal with your machine but the motors don't respond to commands then F2 may be blown.
Earthbound
Printmaster!

Post by Earthbound »

PJJ wrote:ok ill check the fuse again. would it be the fuse even though the rambo turn on and displays everything
Read the post directly above this one for why one thing works but the other does not. Motors and display are fused separately.
PJJ
Prints-a-lot

Post by PJJ »

Earthbound wrote:
PJJ wrote:ok ill check the fuse again. would it be the fuse even though the rambo turn on and displays everything
Read the post directly above this one for why one thing works but the other does not. Motors and display are fused separately.

ok thanks for the information. I am wondering before I change the f2 fuse again, just for future references; how can I better prevent the f2 fuse to not blow.
PJJ
Prints-a-lot

Post by PJJ »

KAS wrote:Can you please post a picture of your RAMBo, End-stop switches, and the hotend?

Also since you haven't printed anything, check the dangling wires for the layer fan. Make sure those are not touching each-other or anything for that matter.

the images are in the attached docement
Attachments
seemecnc.docx
image 1
(26.35 MiB) Downloaded 169 times

Return to “Troubleshooting”