E3V6 Constantly clogging(solved)

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
dsl158
Printmaster!

E3V6 Constantly clogging(solved)

Post by dsl158 »

When I put the filament in the extruder and press extrude on matter control some filament will come out, but when I try and print the calibration cube nothing comes out, I havent been able to print anything since I built it about a month ago.

(The solution was that the fan turned off and the heat sink wasnt being cooled enough)
Last edited by dsl158 on Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: E3V6 Constantly clogging

Post by Polygonhell »

What sort of filament? what temperature settings? Etc etc.
dsl158
Printmaster!

Post by dsl158 »

Polygonhell wrote:What sort of filament? what temperature settings? Etc etc.
Abs, 228c E3V6 hot end and im using a rostock max v2
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

You need to be as specific as possible, print speeds, retraction settings etc.
The two usual issues with an E3DV6 are either the Teflon tube is not seated at the bottom of the hole, or running too much retraction, for the latter if your over 2mm it's too much.
I'd also print much hotter than that for ABS, at least 240, have you checked the reported temperature against the actual with a thermocouple, all the E3D hotends I have under report temperature.
Some of the m do have issues with PLA, but I've never heard of one with issues printing ABS.
dsl158
Printmaster!

Post by dsl158 »

Polygonhell wrote:You need to be as specific as possible, print speeds, retraction settings etc.
The two usual issues with an E3DV6 are either the Teflon tube is not seated at the bottom of the hole, or running too much retraction, for the latter if your over 2mm it's too much.
I'd also print much hotter than that for ABS, at least 240, have you checked the reported temperature against the actual with a thermocouple, all the E3D hotends I have under report temperature.
Some of the m do have issues with PLA, but I've never heard of one with issues printing ABS.
It nothing comes out ever while printing so I dont think its retraction. Im using the noz that they supply you with.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

If you remove the bowden tube from the hotend, nothing would come out during a print? Do you see the extruder wheel turn at all?
dsl158
Printmaster!

Post by dsl158 »

KAS wrote:If you remove the bowden tube from the hotend, nothing would come out during a print? Do you see the extruder wheel turn at all?
Yes it doesnt spin when you take it out
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

So it extrudes when you use the manual controls in Matter Control, but not when you generate g-code in the slicer. I haven't used MC in a while, do you have an option to select different hotends in the settings?

Can you attached the gcode from one of your attempts?
dsl158
Printmaster!

Post by dsl158 »

KAS wrote:So it extrudes when you use the manual controls in Matter Control, but not when you generate g-code in the slicer. I haven't used MC in a while, do you have an option to select different hotends in the settings?
It will only extrude in matter control for a little but then it jams again
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

i see, sounds like a thermal issue. What temp and type of filament are you using?
dsl158
Printmaster!

Post by dsl158 »

KAS wrote:i see, sounds like a thermal issue. What temp and type of filament are you using?
228c And ABS
dsl158
Printmaster!

Post by dsl158 »

KAS wrote:i see, sounds like a thermal issue. What temp and type of filament are you using?
After a while of extruding the bowden tube will start coming out and the filament is all curled up
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

you need to calibrate your hot end... you need a thermocouple and a multimeter that can read temps. you need to see if your thermistor is actually reporting correct temps. set your v6 to hot end temp to 245 and see if it can print.

Tom C
MAX V1
325 MM carbon arms trick trucks effector mount LED ring heat spreader
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

Have you verified the hot end fan is running and blowing in the correct direction (towards the hot end)?

What brand ABS is it? If it's actually mis-labeled PLA, that might conduct enough heat up into the heat sink at 228 to cause a problem.
dsl158
Printmaster!

Post by dsl158 »

IMBoring25 wrote:Have you verified the hot end fan is running and blowing in the correct direction (towards the hot end)?

What brand ABS is it? If it's actually mis-labeled PLA, that might conduct enough heat up into the heat sink at 228 to cause a problem.
Makerbot
dsl158
Printmaster!

Post by dsl158 »

IMBoring25 wrote:Have you verified the hot end fan is running and blowing in the correct direction (towards the hot end)?

yes its blowing the right direction
dsl158
Printmaster!

Post by dsl158 »

stonewater wrote:you need to calibrate your hot end... you need a thermocouple and a multimeter that can read temps. you need to see if your thermistor is actually reporting correct temps. set your v6 to hot end temp to 245 and see if it can print.

I dont have one can you recommend a good one thats not too expensive

Tom C
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

mastech makes inexpensive multi meters, this one is only 26 bucks and comes with the thermocouple.

http://www.shop.customthermoelectric.co ... fgodPjgByQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tom C
MAX V1
325 MM carbon arms trick trucks effector mount LED ring heat spreader
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

Hi, try printing a hollow cube with retraction disabled and 235ºc hotend temp.

What's your print speed, retraction speed and retraction amount?
Martín S.
dsl158
Printmaster!

Post by dsl158 »

Tincho85 wrote:Hi, try printing a hollow cube with retraction disabled and 235ºc hotend temp.

Nothing comes out when I press extrude on matter control so I dont think printing hollow will help
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

dsl158 wrote:
Tincho85 wrote:Hi, try printing a hollow cube with retraction disabled and 235ºc hotend temp.

Nothing comes out when I press extrude on matter control so I dont think printing hollow will help
dsl158 wrote:It will only extrude in matter control for a little but then it jams again
I'm lost... your hot end is clogged or your cold end doesn't extrude when you give the order (with MC or/and LCD panel)?

Can you manually push the filament through the hot end?
Martín S.
dsl158
Printmaster!

Post by dsl158 »

Tincho85 wrote:
dsl158 wrote:

dsl158 wrote:It will only extrude in matter control for a little but then it jams again
I'm lost... your hot end is clogged or your cold end doesn't extrude when you give the order (with MC or/and LCD panel)?

Can you manually push the filament through the hot end?
Basically when you heat it up and use matter control to extrude it, it will extrude for a bit. After a while it will stop. the noz looks like it gets clogged up I ordered a thermocouple to see the temp and it will be here tomorrow
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Have you tried to turn the heat up a bit?
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

I'd disconnect the bowden tube (AT THE EXTRUDER not the hotend since on the V6 the bowden tube runs into the body), set the temperature to 250 and try feeding the filament by hand to see what it feels like. It could be clogged, or it could just be under reading temperature by a significant margin. If you have extra PTFE tube lying around, you could cut a short length off it and use that so you don't have to push the filament all the way through the long Tube. At 250C with ABS there will still be significant resistance, but you should be able to feed plastic by hand relatively easilly.

FWIW my V5's and my Kraken, with what I believe is the same thermistor all under read by over 20C when using the recommended thermistor in the firmware, so 220C is really just 200C. I use a custom thermistor in the firmware tuned to give a correct reading at printing temperatures.

If you can;t feed by hand at that temperature, and it's still clogging you'll probably have to disassemble it, it's not heard of for particles to be embedded in the filament, or maybe something left over from the machining of the nozzle.
Last edited by Polygonhell on Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsl158
Printmaster!

Post by dsl158 »

Polygonhell wrote:I'd disconnect the bowden tube, set the temperature to 250 and try feeding the filament by hand to see what it feels like. It could be clogged, or it could just be under reading temperature by a significant margin. At 250C with ABS there will still be significant resistance, but you should be able to feed plastic by hand relatively easilly.
FWIW my V5's and my Kraken, with what I believe is the same thermistor all under read by over 20C when using the recommended thermistor in the firmware, so 220C is really just 200C. I use a custom thermistor in the firmware tuned to give a correct reading at printing temperatures.
Tomorrow I will be able to see and I will tell you then. How do you do that?

Return to “Troubleshooting”