Change EEPROM Settings? (PID Autotune Overshoot) [Solved]

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Falk3r
Prints-a-lot

Change EEPROM Settings? (PID Autotune Overshoot) [Solved]

Post by Falk3r »

M303 S200

<-Error:PID Autotune failed! Temperature to high

This is my initial PID calibration, so I have no fan blowing on the hot end yet. There was a little bit of smoke; it seemed the RTV was baking out some particles, hard to say if it was more or less smoke than the manual told me to expect.

Nozzle and Bed temperatures are still being read, so I think I didn't burn out a thermistor or break any wires (yet).

I see other users having a similar issue in these forums and have resolved it by "changing the extruder PID max from 255 to 128 in the EEPROM".

Could someone walk me through how to accomplish this?

In Arduino 1.6.1, Repetier file, I find the Eeprom.h tab, search on PID, and find these potentially useful settings:

#define EPR_EXTRUDER_PID_PGAIN 18
#define EPR_EXTRUDER_PID_IGAIN 22
#define EPR_EXTRUDER_PID_DGAIN 26
#define EPR_EXTRUDER_PID_MAX 30

But they all appear very low already. Are these the right places to change this 255 max down to 128?
Last edited by Falk3r on Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falk3r
Prints-a-lot

Re: Change EEPROM Settings? (PID Autotune Overshoot)

Post by Falk3r »

OK, I think I'm getting closer. Options tab in MatterControl 1.4, EEProm Settings -> CONFIGURE button.

Extr.1 PID max value [0-255] was 255, now is 128.

Retesting...
Falk3r
Prints-a-lot

Post by Falk3r »

To continue complete documentation of my saga; this lower max value enabled my Autotune to complete 2 of 3 attempts. I averaged the P, I, and D values and updated the EEPROM with those while also upping the PID max value to 150 from 128.

With these values, the Autotune completed fully, and I re-updated the EEPROM with the newest averages.

Current extruder PID values:
Extr.1
P 8.3
I 1.1
D 24.4

Now I'm checking the Bed PID values with the command "M303 P1 S60", will update with results.
Falk3r
Prints-a-lot

Post by Falk3r »

Got one set of results before an Autotune timeout.

Entered those as updated Bed PID values; rerunning.
Falk3r
Prints-a-lot

Post by Falk3r »

Well, the Bed Autotune continues to timeout, but I've pressed on with a plan to circle back around later.

I was able to iteratively calibrate the Z-Height and the individual tower height settings.

Now I'm stuck on the Extruder Stepper Operation; I don't see the Extruder Temperature Override "PLA" button; so I've manually set the nozzle up to 190C but the Extrude motor does not react when I press the "E+" button.

In fact, as soon as I press that I'm unable to do ANY commanding of the printer? X+/X-, Y+/Y-, Z+/Z- they all do nothing.

The software isn't hung up, because the preview pane continues to rotate; disconnecting and reconnecting gets me control back -- until I attempt the extrude command again. Looks like this one might require an email to support.
Falk3r
Prints-a-lot

Post by Falk3r »

Scratch that -- two more disconnects and reconnects seem to have resolved it?
Earthbound
Printmaster!

Re: Change EEPROM Settings? (PID Autotune Overshoot) [Solved

Post by Earthbound »

I've always had trouble using manual extrude controls in MatterControl.
"Trust no quote from the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Troubleshooting”