printer keeps loosing connection

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
kevo3
Printmaster!

printer keeps loosing connection

Post by kevo3 »

From the start of this build ive been having issues (check stepper motors wont work) and iv come to realize most of the issues were user error. I managed to resolve all but one, and that is my printer refuses to stay connected. It will connect and remain connected for any where between 5 minutes to an hour, but never much longer. At first during calibration, the printer would stop responding to input from matter control. It would still say connected on MC, but the temp readouts would remain frozen. After refreshing, it would say disconnected and any attempt to reconnect would leave me with a "connecting..." and nothing more. The only way to fix is to uplug the usb, occasionally leaving me with "com port 3 not found". this became a very big issue when it came to printing the fan shroud, as iv only made it through 70% of the print at the most.Any ideas?
Hey sweetie, Have you checked your thermisistors lately? cause you're hotter than my onyx...
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: printer keeps loosing connection

Post by Xenocrates »

a work around would be to export files to the SD card included with your printer, and print off that.

Beyond that, I suggest trying a different USB port, potentially one on a different controller if you can tell, and making sure the connector is properly seated at the rambo.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
kevo3
Printmaster!

Post by kevo3 »

Xenocrates wrote:a work around would be to export files to the SD card included with your printer, and print off that.

Beyond that, I suggest trying a different USB port, potentially one on a different controller if you can tell, and making sure the connector is properly seated at the rambo.
I thought about trying the sd card, but ive been putting it off. Ill look up how to do it in just a bit. ive tried three different ports on the computer all of which fail eventually.As far as the Rambo goes, ive try re situating it so there is absolutely nothing pulling on the cord, to no avail. Sd cards the next option.
Hey sweetie, Have you checked your thermisistors lately? cause you're hotter than my onyx...
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

There are a couple of things you can try.
Try a different USB cable, and make sure it's routed away from any power wires.
You could also try replacing the USB Serial drivers, you can download the latest ones from FTDI's site.
If possible you should try a different computer, could be a driver issue, or a hardware issue, or a power save issue.
USB serial is not the most robust protocol ever invented, but it's usually "good enough".
kevo3
Printmaster!

Post by kevo3 »

Polygonhell wrote:There are a couple of things you can try.
You could also try replacing the USB Serial drivers, you can download the latest ones from FTDI's site.
If possible you should try a different computer, could be a driver issue, or a hardware issue, or a power save issue.
USB serial is not the most robust protocol ever invented, but it's usually "good enough".
Ive been thinking it might be worthwhile to just not use the usb cord and switch over to the SD card, only issue being i dont know where to start to use it. is there a post on the forum describing how to?
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

kevo3 wrote:
Polygonhell wrote:There are a couple of things you can try.
Ive been thinking it might be worthwhile to just not use the usb cord and switch over to the SD card, only issue being i dont know where to start to use it. is there a post on the forum describing how to?
See this thread: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1834" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kevo3
Printmaster!

Post by kevo3 »

Now when ever i have the printer plugged into the computer, it says that the com port is in use. When ever i have it unplugged, it says that the comport is unavailable. As far as the sd card goes. i do not have a computer that has a sd card port. I attempted to use repeteir host, and surprisingly it appears to stay connected, but any attempts at printing ended up with trying to print outside of the print bed. Wether i was using cura engine or slicer didnt matter, it would still try to print out side of it Im quite confused as to what i should do
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

you can get USB stick type SD card holders quite cheaply
as in less than $5
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... rial%2C150
kevo3
Printmaster!

Post by kevo3 »

Windshadow wrote:you can get USB stick type SD card holders quite cheaply
as in less than $5
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... rial%2C150
ill probably order one when i get the chance, im hoping to find another solution before i have to spend any more money.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

kevo3 wrote:Now when ever i have the printer plugged into the computer, it says that the com port is in use. When ever i have it unplugged, it says that the comport is unavailable. As far as the sd card goes. i do not have a computer that has a sd card port. I attempted to use repeteir host, and surprisingly it appears to stay connected, but any attempts at printing ended up with trying to print outside of the print bed. Wether i was using cura engine or slicer didnt matter, it would still try to print out side of it Im quite confused as to what i should do
You just need to setup Repetier host so that 0,0 is the middle of the bed, it's in the preferences somewhere.
kevo3
Printmaster!

Post by kevo3 »

Polygonhell wrote:
kevo3 wrote:Now when ever i have the printer plugged into the computer, it says that the com port is in use. When ever i have it unplugged, it says that the comport is unavailable. As far as the sd card goes. i do not have a computer that has a sd card port. I attempted to use repeteir host, and surprisingly it appears to stay connected, but any attempts at printing ended up with trying to print outside of the print bed. Wether i was using cura engine or slicer didnt matter, it would still try to print out side of it Im quite confused as to what i should do
You just need to setup Repetier host so that 0,0 is the middle of the bed, it's in the preferences somewhere.
My savior. thank you, i cant believe it was that simple of a fix. You wouldnt happen to have any idea what would cause it to say that the com port is in use, would you?
kevo3
Printmaster!

Post by kevo3 »

Well, we've "solved" the problem, kinda. I managed to connect them long enough to upload the gcode. And I went straight to printing, but, the quality of this one is absolutely atrocious. The first three attempts that got cut short came out amazingly smooth and strong. The last attempt came out brittle and with a weird pattern running through it where barely any filliment came out. Check pics below.
Attachments
Absolutely beautiful (just not finished)
Absolutely beautiful (just not finished)
Fail family
Fail family
The brittle failure
The brittle failure
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

My savior. thank you, i cant believe it was that simple of a fix. You wouldnt happen to have any idea what would cause it to say that the com port is in use, would you?[/quote]

Open "Windows Task Manager" (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and take a look at "Processes". I suspect that you will see "Repetier Server" running along with "Repetier Host".

"Server" will seize the port and tell "Host" to go pound sand. "Host" will return to you and announce that the "Com Port Is In Use".

Easiest solution is the Wild West Approach. Shoot "Repetier Server" by ending the process and then go use "Repetier Host" to connect to you printer.

I really like being able to use up all those "quotation marks", my keyboard was getting over full with them.

gary
kevo3
Printmaster!

Post by kevo3 »

nitewatchman wrote:My savior. thank you, i cant believe it was that simple of a fix. You wouldnt happen to have any idea what would cause it to say that the com port is in use, would you?

Open "Windows Task Manager" (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and take a look at "Processes". I suspect that you will see "Repetier Server" running along with "Repetier Host".

"Server" will seize the port and tell "Host" to go pound sand. "Host" will return to you and announce that the "Com Port Is In Use".

Easiest solution is the Wild West Approach. Shoot "Repetier Server" by ending the process and then go use "Repetier Host" to connect to you printer.

I really like being able to use up all those "quotation marks", my keyboard was getting over full with them.

gary[/quote]

is there any reason to use the server over the host for printing ? the server lacks its own slicer, so what is the use of it? it simply looks more appealing? Or am i missing something, because ive been told i do that...
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

is there any reason to use the server over the host for printing ? the server lacks its own slicer, so what is the use of it? it simply looks more appealing? Or am i missing something, because ive been told i do that...[/quote]

To the best of my knowledge I have never user Server.

I use Host frequently simply as a printer interface only. For slicing I use S3D.

The only reason this came up for me is because I recently updated Repetier and Host responded that the port was in use. The printer is the only thing on the computer so I was puzzled about what was using com9. Tracing it backwards it was Repetier Server. I now just automatically disable it. I will likely either uninstall it or edit the registry entry that starts it. Apparently the update also loaded Server and since it apparently starts first, it seizes port.

gary
kevo3
Printmaster!

Post by kevo3 »

nitewatchman wrote:is there any reason to use the server over the host for printing ? the server lacks its own slicer, so what is the use of it? it simply looks more appealing? Or am i missing something, because ive been told i do that...
To the best of my knowledge I have never user Server.

I use Host frequently simply as a printer interface only. For slicing I use S3D.

The only reason this came up for me is because I recently updated Repetier and Host responded that the port was in use. The printer is the only thing on the computer so I was puzzled about what was using com9. Tracing it backwards it was Repetier Server. I now just automatically disable it. I will likely either uninstall it or edit the registry entry that starts it. Apparently the update also loaded Server and since it apparently starts first, it seizes port.

gary[/quote]

Any idea why mattercontrol would be saying that as well? even when repiteir host and server are closed out.
kevo3
Printmaster!

Post by kevo3 »

Ive found out what as causing the brittle failure. Slic3r kept thinking i was using 3mm filiment, so it sliced it that way, leading to the large gaps in the peice. Ive found a way around all the problems so far, so while not solved, the issue has been avoided. Using repetier, i just download the g code to the sd through the printer, since i dont have a SD to USB adapter, and print it from there, since the connection will eventually time out. I have enough time to download the file but not enough to print from the computer.

Return to “Troubleshooting”