m119 Command shows that Z is always at H (Solved)

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
dsl158
Printmaster!

m119 Command shows that Z is always at H (Solved)

Post by dsl158 »

The rambo board thinks that it is always hitting the limit switch. There are no exposed wires, Ive ruled out the board by switching the Y and Z plugs, The max lengths are 350 for all of the axis.

Solved: The plastic connector to the rambo must have broken. I replaced it and it works fine now.
Last edited by dsl158 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
joe
Printmaster!

Re: m119 Command shows that Z is always at H

Post by joe »

Could you elaborate please. Is this a new build ... did you change anything.. did you mess with the config.h file.. were you holding your breath when you hit the m119 command. Stuff like that please. A pic of the board and the switch.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

So, first step troubleshooting it beyond "Wiggle the darned thing while watching the status" would be to disconnect the limit entirely, and keep the contacts from touching. If this doesn't show an open condition, it means that there's a short in the wiring somewhere, or a dead input on the Rambo. If this does show an open condition, you can try to unjam the limit, or replace it, as they are cheap components.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
dsl158
Printmaster!

Post by dsl158 »

Xenocrates wrote:So, first step troubleshooting it beyond "Wiggle the darned thing while watching the status" would be to disconnect the limit entirely, and keep the contacts from touching. If this doesn't show an open condition, it means that there's a short in the wiring somewhere, or a dead input on the Rambo. If this does show an open condition, you can try to unjam the limit, or replace it, as they are cheap components.
Sorry for the VERY delayed response I havent really had time to work on it. Ive take out both of the limit switches wire and checked for shorts and nothing. Along with that even when they are unplugged from the switch and not touching they Z still shows up at H
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

dsl158 wrote:
Xenocrates wrote:So, first step troubleshooting it beyond "Wiggle the darned thing while watching the status" would be to disconnect the limit entirely, and keep the contacts from touching. If this doesn't show an open condition, it means that there's a short in the wiring somewhere, or a dead input on the Rambo. If this does show an open condition, you can try to unjam the limit, or replace it, as they are cheap components.
Sorry for the VERY delayed response I havent really had time to work on it. Ive take out both of the limit switches wire and checked for shorts and nothing. Along with that even when they are unplugged from the switch and not touching they Z still shows up at H
If you unplug it from the board and it suddenly shows L then it has to be a short in the wiring.
dsl158
Printmaster!

Post by dsl158 »

Polygonhell wrote:
dsl158 wrote:
If you unplug it from the board and it suddenly shows L then it has to be a short in the wiring.
If I unplug the entire thing it still says H. also if you unplug the switch it will say H anyway to prevent the printer from slamming the top.
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Can it be a firmware thing?
There is an option in firmware to invert, maybe you changed that by accident?
of course this can only be so when the endstop works the wrong way, not if it does not work at al.

#define ENDSTOP_Z_MIN_INVERTING true
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
dsl158
Printmaster!

Post by dsl158 »

DeltaCon wrote:Can it be a firmware thing?
of course this can only be so when the endstop works the wrong way, not if it does not work at al.

Just checked and it already says true
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

dsl158 wrote:

I would try swapping the plugs to another axis and testing (To see if there is any trouble remaining in the wiring or if it's all firmware/Rambo). If that works properly and the problem stays on Z, I would reload the firmware after zeroing the EEPROM. If that still doesn't fix it, I would contact SeemeCNC or Ultimachine (the Rambo's developers and manufacturers), and see about having the board tested, repaired, or replaced.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
dsl158
Printmaster!

Post by dsl158 »

Xenocrates wrote:
dsl158 wrote:

I would try swapping the plugs to another axis and testing (To see if there is any trouble remaining in the wiring or if it's all firmware/Rambo). If that works properly and the problem stays on Z, I would reload the firmware after zeroing the EEPROM. If that still doesn't fix it, I would contact SeemeCNC or Ultimachine (the Rambo's developers and manufacturers), and see about having the board tested, repaired, or replaced.
if I put the Y endstop in the Z socket it will say L. This is weird because I have taken the entire Z wire out of the tower and even replaced the wire and the switch.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

dsl158 wrote:
Xenocrates wrote:
dsl158 wrote:
if I put the Y endstop in the Z socket it will say L. This is weird because I have taken the entire Z wire out of the tower and even replaced the wire and the switch.
Did you ever check for shorts at the connector? It may be that there are strands of wire either trapped in the housing shorting it, or some other flaw. If you used the same crimp housing, this could persist even after replacing the wire and contacts going to it.
Machines:
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001

Return to “Troubleshooting”