HE 280 bowden tube seating

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
biancosplanco
Prints-a-lot

HE 280 bowden tube seating

Post by biancosplanco »

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew exactly how far the bowden tube is supposed to go into the hot end on the Rostock Max v3. I was only getting about 1-1/2" but then I took the whole thing apart and found a huge buildup of PLA, removed it, and am now getting about 1-5/8", but I'm still having a jamming issue. I'd like to know if the bowden tube is getting deep enough down the "barrel" but obviously I can't see what's happening on the inside!

Also, are there any other known causes of jamming/filament grinding? I've followed the pinned instructions what feels like 8 times with no change in result.

Thank you,

Matthew
biancosplanco
Prints-a-lot

Re: HE 280 bowden tube seating

Post by biancosplanco »

I'm measuring from the top of the black plastic ring on the interior of the PTC adapter by the way.
Juicy
Plasticator

Post by Juicy »

I'm in the same boat as you. I think the bowden tube goes about 1.7" into the heatsink. I seat the tube fully then circle the top with sharpie and pull it out. I cannot solve my problem with my hot end jamming either. Every time I take it out after a test print there is a "hockey puck" of material. From what I have read, the filament grinding is a direct result of the jam in the hot end.
biancosplanco
Prints-a-lot

Post by biancosplanco »

Juicy wrote:I'm in the same boat as you. I think the bowden tube goes about 1.7" into the heatsink. I seat the tube fully then circle the top with sharpie and pull it out. I cannot solve my problem with my hot end jamming either. Every time I take it out after a test print there is a "hockey puck" of material. From what I have read, the filament grinding is a direct result of the jam in the hot end.
Totally! In fact I had to completely take apart the hot end to get the filament buildup out properly. You can check if theres any stuck way deep down the barrel if you take the PTC adapter off and shine a flashlight down. I had a ton in there that I ended up using a drill bit and a pin to pry out then put the whole assembly back together, only to discover it didn't fix the problem.

Thanks for replying! 1.7" looks about right.

Did you try sanding the edges of the bowden tube? I saw somewhere that someone did that and it worked afterwards. (I've already done this.)

Let me know if any of that works and if you get a confirmation on that dimension.
dgriff
Printmaster!

Post by dgriff »

Just had this re-occur on my HE280 after having it work perfectly for a number of years. Maybe repeated heat/cool cycles loosened things a bit, or maybe the bowden tube didn't completely seat properly at some point after I had a filament jam I had to remove. At any rate, it seems to be fixed now after letting it heat, then cool to 110 and pull the filament out.

Did the recommended "new" procedure to loosen the top nut containing the PTF adapter 2 turns, seating the tube in hard with the extruder bottomed-out on the build surface, then tightening the top nut up again. So far so good. Fingers crossed!

Return to “Troubleshooting”