Extruder Temperature Fault

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
thwfwa
Plasticator

Extruder Temperature Fault

Post by thwfwa »

I have a RostockMax V3.2 with Duet board and SE300 dual feed hotend. It was purchased 3/24/18.

I have a random issue where the hotend heater will have a fault for temperature out of range. I haven't been able to tell if the temperature abruptly peaks too high to create the fault or if it drops down which causes the fault. The graph just shows a steady decline.

I have replaced the entire SE300 hot end assembly without a change. Both assemblies (board, heater, sensor, dual filament feed, etc. everything except the whip cable) have the same issue on occasion.

I have replaced the config file with several different files that Steve sent over the years, and that doesn't solve the problem.

I tuned the heater loop using the procedure that Steve supplied. That sometimes appeared to help for a while, but did not resolve the problem.

I have secured the whip so that it cannot flex the connectors on the hotend, and that doesn't seem to make a difference.

The firmware is still the same as Steve installed last spring, which worked fine for several months before the problem started to occur.

I thought it might have been a Cura setting, but it doesn't always fail at the same point in a print file.

So I'm down to several possibilities that I can think of:
The Duet card is occasionally failing. I had one print that I sliced for an Orion and accidentally sent it to the Rostock. It failed from the start and the resliced file ran correctly, but it may have caused a problem with the Duet, or the Duet may have developed a problem due to age.
The whip may have an internal problem or a poor connector. It is one that I did rewire when I upgraded to the SE300 from the original SE280.

Do either of these seem likely? Are there any other possibilities that you can think of for me to check?
thwfwa
Plasticator

Re: Extruder Temperature Fault

Post by thwfwa »

Update:

After I posted the above, heppster's post on a 100% fan shutdown struck me as being a similar symptom so I checked out how the tool fan speed affected temperature control. Heppster noted that 50% fan speed eliminated the problem. I checked and at 100% I had a variation of +- 4 degrees, where as at 42% it was +- 0.6 degrees. I've only run one print, but it was much better quality and ran to completion.

I will do more checking and post results in the near future.
thwfwa
Plasticator

Re: Extruder Temperature Fault

Post by thwfwa »

After changing the fan speed setting in Cura to 42%, I have run over 30 hours of printing with no faults. So thanks to Hebbster for locating the cause.

I'm not into software much anymore, but I suspect that the temperature tuning routine isn't adequately compensating for fan speed. While running it I saw a considerable sine wave generated that spanned up to 12° degrees. By manually setting the fan speed to 42% in my case, the variation was observed to be less than 0.7° and typically less than 0.4°. The consistency of my prints has improved, and no faults! Problem solved.

Return to “Troubleshooting”