Stepper motors not running

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Kanthus
Plasticator

Stepper motors not running

Post by Kanthus »

I finished building my MAX v2. I am in the process of loading all the drivers and software which seemed to go as it should. When I get to the Initial Function Tests and the instructions tell you to set the home placement by hitting the home button in the Repetier software, nothing happens. Its like the motors will not do anything, like there is no power to them at all. I have checked the wiring and everything seems to be connected correctly. Anyone have any ideas?

I also just noticed that the fan on the bottom of the RAMBo board is not running now.
Russ
Prints-a-lot

Re: Stepper motors not running

Post by Russ »

When you turn on the power, what do the LED's on the Rambo board do? Do they stay on? If so, what color are they? Could be a blown fuse on the Rambo (it has 3). The fact the Rambo fan is not running is telling, so also check your connections to the board, including the fan connection.

Cheers,
Russ
Vancouver, Canada

Rostock Max V2 - Lovin' it! Mods including dual 92mm chassis fans, vertical 92mm Rambo fan, and AstroSyn dampers.
MendelMax 1.5 - still in the box, what to do?
Thing-O-Matic - Rebuilt carriage, now converting to NinjaFlex
Kanthus
Plasticator

Post by Kanthus »

The green light by the reset switch stays on. There is an amber one that blinks in the middle of the board. When I run the calibration for the hot end and heat bed there are 2 red lights that come on.

Anyone know where to get a fuse? I was actually thinking the fuse might be blown and even went to Radio Shack to see if they might have any, but they dont.
guanu
SeeMeCNC Staff

Post by guanu »

if its the motors that are not running the fuse you would want to test is F2 from this picture: http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/b/b4 ... -fuses.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you can get the fuses directly from ultimachine: https://ultimachine.com/content/fuse-0448005mr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guanu
Kanthus
Plasticator

Post by Kanthus »

I ordered 5. I also spent most of the day trying to find some place local that might have them. Nope, not one place I can find has these fuses local.
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

Ya, the nano fuses are not easily found outside the supply houses. People have soldered the wires of an automotive fuse-holder to each side of the blown fuse if they have to get running quickly.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

I got my fuses from Mouser. They ship from Texas. I don't know that your problem is the fuses. I wouldn't even check them first. What happens when you test the limit switches with M119? All towers should read 1 when the carriages are sitting on the limit switches, and 0 when they aren't. The firmware expects to see this and will not let you move the carriages up if they aren't wired correctly. The connectors need to be attached to the ground (think it's COM) pin and the normally closed (NC) pin. If you use the normally open pin, it's never gonna work.

Return to “Troubleshooting”